Wednesday, May 23, 2018

“JUAT’SOP” MY FREN’?


When I heard that voice… and question over the phone, I knew that my dear friend Cheíto was back. It had been a long time since our last contact. I was happy to hear from him… and curious as to what he had to say.

-“What’s up Cheíto?" "Man, I haven’t heard from you in a long time. How are you and your princess and your wife?”
-“Uel”, “I haf a long story my fren'”
-“Tell me about it”, I said to him.
-“Remember in april las’ year juen I tol’ yu about mi princesa’s 15 birday?”
-“Yes, I remember Cheíto”. “You were going to rent a big hall and have a big party”. “Did you have the party?”
 -“Uell… jes’n no”

Sensing that a major mistake was made at some point, I went ahead and asked anyway…

-“What do you mean, yes and no?”
-“Guel… I guanted to sav’ son money” “Yu no, those parties cos’a lot’o money man… an’ I’m not rich”.
- “And?” I insisted…
-“I saw a pictur’ of dis beautiful plais in the country an’ it cost ‘bout haf the other plais that my wife wanted”
-“And…”?
-“Uel… how do yu say… I wen’n got it” “Jus’ sen’ a Wester' Union”
-“You mean you paid for it without seeing it?” “Or without telling your wife?”
-“Yeah… dats’bou’ it”
-“It sounds to me that something did not go well” I ventured to say. Then followed a moment of silence from the other side, a sure indicator that the inevitable answer to an incriminating question is “yes”.
-“Rafa… the party was a big nuthin’” “People din’t even fin’ the plais’”. “It was noplais… in da’ country with one road, mud an’ all that”.
And… “what happened?” I ventured to ask.
-“My waif… she tol’ me she wanted a divorce” and… “my princesa said she no wanted to see me again… ever”

-“Wow”… I was actually speechless for several seconds…
-“What happened then Cheíto?”
-“I had to mov’out… Took me fiv’ mon’ to hear from her agin’”
-“And what happened?”
-“Mon’… I had to promis’ a sweet 16 party’, “An’ they choos’ da plais… an’ evrithin’”
He was quiet for a moment and then, with much feeling he added…
-“Yu no’… my mom always tol’ me that cheap is expensiv’” “I’n goin’ to be payin’ this mistake for many years”

Then I wished him the best and we bade our good byes. I will be talking with him again soon… somebody has to make sure that the saving bug doesn’t get to him again.

Several of you had asked about him and his absence. Now you know… Seems that his comments always are on target, very direct, honest and from a simple perspective. He is not a political animal or much of a commentator on current issues. He’s just another guy from the streets… the Hialeah streets, that is. But he’s a good man and a better friend who just tries to do his best to survive in this world and its everyday problems, mistakes, issues and yes, moments of happiness as well.

Sounds familiar?

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
·       Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
·       Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
·       Visit www.englishnow.info
·       Any comments please send to rjalcazar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...