Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Who DAT?? An all This and That...


In the beginning, there was a note every day. This began as a short exercise about a time in my life, the years when I came from Cuba to the US, as a sample of what many of my friends and I had lived through in those years. Then, it began to expand and now it looks like a life story with many (like today's entry) side trips that really are not much more than meanderings... We will see where it all goes in the end. There certainly is a lot to write about after 30 years of traveling in many countries, selling ideas, getting to know many in the lower echelons of international financial deals... looking back, this should be in a book. For now it is only here.

If you are an NOS fan (if you don’t know what NOS is, then skip this paragraph) then that is who you visualize when you read the above “title”. It really has not much to do with the body of this entry, but I thought it was a good lead. After all, it has worked very well for the Saint’s fans. So well in fact, that the NFL appears to have wanted to cash in on this whole bandwagon. I’ll go out on a limb and say that they will win the SB; it should be a classic meeting of refined technique vs. brawn and bravado. Skills don’t come into this equation, since there is a pretty equal amount of this commodity in both camps. Yet, I believe that brawn and bravado will prevail. We shall see.

It is getting very close to the end of 02-01-2010. There is nothing special about this fact, other that it seemed it was only yesterday it was 02-01-2009; I was getting over my first surgery of the year, and looking to either the radiation treatments or the hip replacement as my next course of action. As we know by now, the rad treatment won out because, in the balance of things life, the villain being attacked by it was much more dangerous to me than an atrophied hip. I remember thinking then that it was going to be a very long and slow year; probably full of pain as well. Actually, it wasn’t. Yes it was long and sometimes tedious but as those who have or are going through treatments, convalescence or medical procedures, especially those involving cancer, the fear is not of the treatment itself but of the outcome. Will it or won’t it? Only Our Lord knows for sure; in the meantime, we can only trust Him and those He has put to work for us. Now it is a year later, the treatments went exceedingly well and the results have been also. The hip is great and just this past week end had my chance at trying it out on a dance floor for the first time… it was good to be able to dance again!! We were at a birthday party for a good friend and the ladies around us (my wife and I) were saying “let the Cuban get up and dance…” After a few of these ribbings the Cuban got up and danced, which he does fairly well even after a long “sabbatical”, and they were silenced. Not bad…

This past weekend we had a snow day, as did most of the center of the country. Since we were at the bottom end of the snow system, by the end of the snow fall there were maybe 3 inches of snow on the ground. We went out to do some things that had to get done, only to find out that most of the town was “snowbound”; most everyone had stayed home because they were afraid of driving in the snow. I realize that this city is not in the middle of Vermont or Michigan, where they can expect to drive in the snow 40-60% of the time in the winter but… snowbound in 3 miserable inches of snow? C’mon!! The banks were closed and many of the stores were also closed. I really could not believe this. If it was Miami, OK… but here in North Carolina?

I think the town has maybe 4-5 trucks which are snowplow ready (certainly looked that way). I can actually understand this in a town that gets maybe 3 snowfalls per winter since it is a costly structure to maintain for such little use. As a result, only the main drags were cleared; the side streets were not, and this created a hazard overnight when the temps went down to 14 degrees. On Sunday Morning, before the sun had a chance to melt some of the stuff, most of the side streets (where many are hilly) had an ice cover. Now it really became an issue to drive. I went out for my walk (yes, like the old time mailman… neither rain nor snow shall derail me from my walk) and it was actually treacherous in many spots, where the ice was slick. We are supposed to get another such weekend this one coming up; let’s see whether our fair city becomes a ghost town again at the sight of a little of the white stuff.

What else has happened? I look to the written word and wonder what this is all about. Then I know. I am supposed to be writing, in a coherent time line, about the time I went into the army and about what happened in those two years. I’m not sure that my brain is quite ready to do this. Many who were in the services then, including some very dear friends, had a much rougher time than I. My services in Okinawa were reduced to receive much of the broken down equipment that came from VN. Blood included. I could only imagine what these souls who occupied these vehicles were going through if survivors, or had gone through if not.

Anyway, today is a short note. As matters are developing, it is getting more difficult to sit and write regularly. But I will promise to do so at least 4 times per week, since I am as curious as you might be as to where this will all eventually go.

Be well…

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...