Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Yellow Brick Road.


Life is a Yellow Brick Road of sorts. Much like the "chocklits" where you never know what the next one will be, the YBR brings you around and around, through all the little side trips of life. At the end, Who Knows What Will Be There? This title just fell from thin air unto the virtual page... :)

Don’t ask me why as to the title above… I really have no idea, it just came to mind when this page opened up in its clean, empty glory. As usual, there are no concrete thoughts as to where I will be going in here, or why. I wonder, is it better to have a defined “content guide” when doing this, or is it better to simply sit at the computer and let the mind roam?. There are many issues floating in the air around my life at this time and doing this is almost like a scape from that reality, to be submerged into a different reality, sort of…

What kind of “reality” should I create for this blog? I truly admire and envy those writers who can actually create worlds of fantasy, the people who inhabit them, their cultures and even their languages. That kind of creativity is, to me, awesome. It doesn’t matter that whatever book did not make it to the top of the charts; the sole idea of that much creativity going from one’s mind unto a clean bunch of papers is totally unreal. Just to sit here and write something relatively short is often taxing; I can just imagine what it would take to complete a full character novel. It took J.R.R.Tolkien some 40 years to complete his trilogy (actually quartet, since the latter three books were preceded by his first one “The Hobbit”). That is total dedication to a craft. In the middle of completing the trilogy of “The Lord of the Rings” he also wrote several books on theology, as well as treaties which were the base for his teachings at the University of Oxford from 1925 through 1959. I know, you don’t probably think too much about this guy but he became, by far, my favorite writer and his work my favorite work. I think I have given the full series at least 16 readings since the first time it came to my attention in 1972. Every time I do, something new pops up: a new slant, a new phrase; an old character seen from a new light. It is fascinating and also a tribute to the author that it never gets old. In fact, I will probably start on it again soon.

I declare myself to be from the old school: I despise the “spoken books”. I think they are a great disservice to the imagination of the recipient, unless he/she is a blind individual; they are the recipients for whom these books were originally intended. Those who can read and choose to get their books via a recorded version are just too lazy to pick up the book and take the time and trouble to read it. No excuses: we are all busy, we all work, we all have things to do; reading 30 minutes every night will do wonders for your gray matter. Not to mention that when you get immersed in a good story of your choice the day’s problems disappear, at least for a few minutes, while the written word takes you into a world created by the writer, just for you. The funny thing, each world created in the mind of each reader is ever so slightly different than the others… THAT is what makes it wonderful: the reader is creating his or her own imaginary world, aided by the words in the story.

You get my drift… Go on and READ!!!

On to something else, except I’m not sure what. Just went into the ITunes “radio” streams and started looking at what they offer there. It is really mind boggling (at least to an old mule like me!!) that in that one list, there are over 150 stations from at least 25 different countries and all offering, of course, the greatest music this side of Heaven. There certainly is a very ample choice and for the most part, free. Actually it is all free but, in some cases, you will be subjected to commercial time just like a regular station, although a lot less yelling is involved. Right now I am listening to a stream (remember when this word had nothing to do with internet and just meant a small, flowing river of water??) through my computer that originates somewhere in Europe (Spain, I believe) and has nothing but light classical guitar music. It is really soothing and great to listen to while working.

Internet, books, stories, they all are like a great long yellow brick road. In the end, we all come to the Land of Oz… or not?

Enjoy the trip, ‘tis the only one you’ll get.

Be Back! Be Well!!

RJA

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...