Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Lost in The Folds of Time


There are moments when I truly feel that I am lost in the folds of time. Functioning within a slow-motion, somewhat off-color and loosely patched-together film. Yet, fascinating and sometimes difficult to watch because I am the primary player and I guess the unwitting or, perhaps, very willing scriptwriter and director.

Looking through a discolored window into a sometimes foggy garden; a garden of life, my life. Moments, places, episodes, conversations, silences… There are many instances of this long passage included in this running blog (lately, more of a “crawling” blog) but when I look at the total picture, there is the realization that much has been relegated to forgetfulness. Because time deletes some of these memories. Perhaps because the mind will do the same, pushed by an encroaching inability to remember some of those details. I think this last may be an expression of subliminal and deliberate self-defense. Survival instincts.

Early summer, many years ago… perhaps another life. My son, then 18 years old or so, in the midst of his confusion and inner turmoil, ran away from home. In the time I had prior to leaving on an extended business trip (another one of those) the communication with his mother (by then my ex) and with several search and poster agencies became, to paraphrase a(n) (in)famous term, “fast and furious”.  

By the time I left, we still had not heard from him, nor had any news from any of the agencies. His mother called me regularly to request funds to continue the search; I called her to learn if anything had happened. After a strange period of silence (no funds requests, no news, no calls) I decided to call to find out if anything had been heard. This time, probably by punching the wrong button, I called her home number rather than her cell phone as had been her request.

The phone rang for a few times and when I was ready to hang up on my end, it was picked up at the other end. No one spoke and I called in “hello” … a tentative “hi” came back over the lines. To my great and happy surprise, it was my son, who’d found his way back and had been at his mom’s for almost a week already.

We talked for a while, he never really touching on where he had been and what had happened. The where we later learned had been Chicago; the what, he took to his grave. I was just happy to hear his voice and to know he was alive and back home, although the “and well” part remained to be seen.

After I hung up, I had a deep sense of relief about knowing he was back. However, somewhere else a feeling of anger began to roil up deep inside.

He had been back for almost a week! His mother had not told me. She had been quick to call for money and to make sure to throw guilt my way about his leaving. Trust me, I had enough guilt to throw around; there is always the questioning and the inner berating.

Yet, when he came back, she had not said anything. If I had not called the home number that day by mistake, I don’t know how much longer she would have kept it from me.

Peevish? … Petty? … Revenge for a failed marriage?

Any and all of the above; none of the above. Her excuse when I called her on this was that she had misplaced the overseas number. Difficult for this to happen unless her phone was lost. She had the number on speed dial. It took some time and effort to force that anger to disappear or, at least, to be relegated to the back of the cage.

A moment from the past; a scene from that foggy garden of life memories. Almost lost in the folds of time… I wonder how many more of these exist.

I am sure many.

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
·       Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!   
·       Any comments please send to rjalcazar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...