Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15th; UNTITLED


Just like sitting and bench pressing, writing is an exercise which needs to be practiced regularly. Ideas do come and go; sometimes that topic which was to be, goes by the wayside as soon as one sits in front of the computer. So be it.

I would like to think there is a degree of creativity in writing. Truly, what the final destination of these pieces might be, other than the great virtual shredder in the sky, I have no idea. It isn’t Pulitzer quality writing (That’s Roberto José Pulitzer, a forgotten Cuban branch cousin to the other one…) and frankly, there are times when it seems to be an exercise in futility. The question is: who cares? Well, it turns out, I do. And it seems that at least another five or so people do as well. So as the words continue to magically appear on this virtual page (remember typewriters? For that matter, paper and pen?) they do give me a degree of satisfaction. After all, just a few years ago, it would be impossible to get “published” for just a few pennies a month. There is much to be said about the virtual world. No editors, no one to tell me how badly expressed my thoughts are, or how that comma is out of place.

I had PR in my mind when this session started. As the title implies, this changed. Again. A lot of bits and pieces of news come in and these keep taking whatever is left of my working mind away from the intended subject.

A young lady, a friend of my daughter, was found dead this past Tuesday. I remember the specific date, for it is the birthday of my older daughter (no, I won’t tell you how old she is…) She was found by her housemates and, as for the cause, there can be several possibilities including a disease history coupled with alcohol problems. It really is not my place to make up any stories or to even think I might know the reason, or reasons for this sad event, since I had not seen the young lady in several years. I pray she is at peace and that her family will also find acceptance and peace without falling into grief and self questioning. This last is something we did not know how to do as growing children, we only learned it as we became parents ourselves.

Sometime in the last few days, my wife and I were complaining to each other (not about each other, mind you) about the fact that we have not taken a vacation as a couple in too long a time. And where, pray tell me, would you like to go or what would you like to do? We were in the midst of discussing the values of a set trip (when you go someplace and stay there for a few days and really enjoy the place) versus a Caribbean or Alaskan Cruise trapped in a gilded, floating cage. My wife is partial to cruises. I am not. While we were commiserating about what we had or had not done, the news about the terrible earthquake in Haiti came over the tubes… well, not really the tubes anymore, but the digital TV.

The pictures that came across the screen were, and continue to be anything but terrible. As days go by, they keep getting worse. People who truly have very little or nothing are being stripped of the only values left to them: their families and their lives.

I am sure we will eventually go on that often delayed vacation, and I am sure my wife’s cruise idea will win out (don’t they always?) but, at that moment of the news coming over and those images spewing out of that screen, the concept of a non taken vacation seems to have very little importance. Once again, we have to remember and be thankful for what we have, and for those things we can enjoy.

Even the delays on an important piece of business my partners and I have been trying to finish for some time now are not that important anymore. I used to get upset at these delays; now, they come and go and they are taken in stride. It will get done and when it does, the fruits will be enjoyable.

But not all news are negative. They never are; we just need to accept there is a balance in life and not concentrate on the negative side, which is something we, as humans, are prone to do. Just talked with my Doctor’s office and the results of my 6 month check up are in: no trace of prostate cancer. I can only say Thank You Father.

Also this afternoon, good news came regarding that piece of business. It looks like next week is the week that will be. That coming through may give me more time to write (not what you wanted to know?).

Did I mention that I will get back to Puerto Rico? No? Well, I promise to and I will sometime over the week end. In the meantime, keep the faith and remember to enjoy what you do have, while you do your best to get what you want.

Be well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...