Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Little Cheat...


No, not that kind of cheat... I have been working on and off (isn't everything on-'n-off?) on a story of my "life", going back to the early 1980's. I am not a very good long writer, usually prefer to do short stuff, like the blog entries and so on. However, it is being tried and the decision was made to take an excerpt from that "manuscript sitting in the computer", and air it here. It picks up in the story, around the time of life in which issues began to get out of hand and some of them outright eventually went to deep south. I'm not too sure as to how far the original story will go to; maybe I will air little pieces now and then...

“…In the early 1980’s (as good a point as any), after some 10 years in insurance sales, my experience brought me to work with an international consulting firm. This was in the field of life insurance, and it was an association comprised of related companies from just about all corners of the world. My job, as described by my eventual supervisor during the hiring process, would be to bring assistance, consultation services and sales and marketing training to the personnel of the affiliated companies in my territory. Oh, and by the way, sell more seminars and also bring new companies into the fold. We need to grow. OK.

My initial territory would be Latin America (good chunk of real estate, just to get started!!…). Eventually, some other countries were added: Spain (this seemed Ok; after all they do speak Spanish there!), England (well, I do all right in English also) However, when management added India, Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore, it became somewhat of a burden. After all, there are only so many hours in a month that can be spent on a plane.

I remember there was a time when mail would actually be sent to the Eastern Airlines (Remember: “The Wings of Man” airline…?) Ionosphere Club at the Miami Intl. Airport. Even though I lived in Connecticut then, Miami was the crossroads for all my southbound connecting flights. -“Oh, hi Mr. Alcazar. Coming through again? Welcome” “Oh and by the way, here is this package of mail waiting for you” “Would you like some coffee?” (They did still actually still serve it in those days). Remember: back in the early 80’s, laptops, cell-phones and PDA’s were still a thing of the future. You actually had to get someplace before you could place a call to another place. I am still not sure those toys have actually improved upon the overall quality of everyday life.

Anyway, travel became very extensive and marriage was becoming a problem spot for both my wife and I. And not just because of the travel time. Our relationship was becoming questionable and, at best, on hold. It is indeed very difficult to manage a family which, much like a personal corporation–actually much more than-, requires attention and dedication. And also, lots of love… I got to travel the world (literally!!) and my wife got to raise the children. When I was home, I did dedicate my time to them, especially to the children. We participated in all school functions and could be counted on to be the loudest boosters… well, me anyway; my wife would get annoyed at my yelling and noise making, while the kids would love it. I would also either coach them in the different sports in which they participated, or assisted their coach… But this was truly not enough. I probably logged -over a 5 year period- an average of 400,000 air miles per year. One year in particular, 1985, was a real killer. Two trips to India and Japan were added to my regular trips to various countries in Latin America.

Because of the (usual) economic problems brewing in South America, my services were being offered in the different Far Eastern countries and, as time would pass, I would spend more time over there.

This was the message management gave me: “the income is over there, not in Latin America”. As a business executive, I could see this clearly. As a person, it was very difficult for me to want to allow my time to be spent in parts other than Latin America. I had made many friends (some of them I still call friends, after these many years have passed) and had also made many commitments…”

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...