Monday, June 14, 2010

Once a Week, Keeps the Dr. Away...


As said before, it is not an easy task to get going after a long period of nothing. Hopefully the next entries will get easier and better...
No, is not what you think although it might, at that… I have been looking at my past production on this blog and what I have been able to produce over the last 2 months. Not what I would like; definitely not… Too many issues and too many potholes to sidestep. We moved, re-started a new/old line of work, my wife became very ill due to an infection and then we went away for a few days… Just returned last night, with a host of resolutions to be nurtured and developed into realities. One of them was to actually sit and write at least once a week into the blog; the topic(s)? Well, whatever came into mind at the time of the sitting.
So, here I sit and wait for Mr. Topic to come a-waltzing into my head. Guess what? Not a miserable clue, not even a feeble note of music is being produced at this time. At least none I can hear. I look around my work station and I see an envelope which has to be opened and the contents rerouted to their eventual destiny, a phone which is actually becoming somewhat of a pest, a book with a number of “leads” of people who eagerly await my call so they can buy my product (or so I’m told); a number of papers, all containing some such message informing me of issues that should be attended. A couple of pens; one with black ink, one with blue ink. The one with blue ink is to sign those original documents that should not be copied. I guess some people have not heard of up to date color copiers. A copy from one of these will look better than the original. What else is there? I see a folder with copies of applications from past clients and one with copies of rejections from the insurance company. Luckily, this last folder is much thinner than the other one… There is also email to go and sort. Most of this tends to be junk mail. Amazing, isn’t it? Just a few years ago it took a letter anywhere from 3 to 5 days to be delivered anywhere in the US. Junk mail was limited to the few store flyers that would come in with the Saturday mail; while these still come in my electronic mail is flooded with stupid messages and letters which are usually sent by another computer, to the tune of some 75-90 messages per day.
During this last trip, I did not have the opportunity to check my mail for 3 days and when I did… there were some 285 messages to be dumped. I think I like the old system better… slower, but a lot cleaner. I love it when some geezer in the UK or Nigeria lets me know that my name has been miraculously picked by some higher force and that, as a result, I am now the presumed heir to some unknown “relative” in a country where I have never been, and usually to the tune of not less than 15 Million US$$$$. It gets even better when the friendly fella tells me that even if I have no idea of what they are talking about, he/she will swear before all their courts that indeed not only am I that long lost relative, but that Uncle Theodore wrote me into his will as the sole heir right before he bought the farm. Just for a 20% participation in the loot and after, of course, covering some “minor” up front expenses. Would you buy into this? Apparently, there are enough people who respond and follow up.
This scam has been going on for the better part of 25 years; now being aided and abetted by the electronic mail monster. Imagine: if you are the happy fraudster you can now send your message, with a simple keystroke, to several thousand recipients at once.
This dearth of topics is getting on my nerves. Our outside plants died while we were away. The one big plant inside was OK when we returned from the trip. Oh yes, we bought the water bottles and put them into the pots, but these were meant for the 3-4 days we were going to be away, not for the 8 days it took us to get back. Poor little flowers. Just took the remaining dry stems off the planters and threw them away into the garbage this afternoon… not even a requiem. I know… too sappy, but they were beautiful and did bring happiness in the afternoons, the different color flowers hanging from the baskets. Have to go to Home Depot (or I should say Loews, since we are in the Carolinas and they are the local boys) and pick up a new batch of flowers to plant. They are indeed living entities; they do respond well to a little care.
While away, I started reading “The Lost Symbol” from Dan Brown. Although I could not complete the book –it wasn’t mine to bring back- enough was read to learn about the heroine’s development of experiments within the Noetic Sciences field… Huhh?? Well, I said the same at the beginning. Yet, when more information was gathered, it became a very interesting topic indeed. It has been around as such since the earlier part of the 1900’s and it deals, in a scientific manner, with the concept of mind over matter. If you like this sort of thing (I love it!!) look into it on the internet or, as the knowing crowd would say: “Google It”…
And, Oh yes… this morning I started my exercise routine again after being a lazy bum for over a month… it hurts!!
Bye’ for now… Be Well…
RJA

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...