Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Postcards, Thoughts and Other Issues.

This was started a few days ago...  Heard that one before, huh? There has been much to do and little time to sit at the computer. The first couple of paragraphs were written and left there. This morning the news that a fellow church member had finally succumbed to cancer, gave me some food for thought. So the posting went on, just in a different direction than it might have gone originally.


It’s another warm, humid August day here in North Carolina. Considering where I was born, this type of weather should not bother me much. Interesting how the human body adapts and then “un-adapts” to different settings, according to the exposure given. I was born and raised for almost 16 years in a tropical setting: warm and humid in the summer, less warm in the winters. There was a time in my early life when, during the winter months, we had to put on sweaters if the temperature went below 82 degrees. And if it ever went to 65 or below (very rarely and usually for a day or two at most), it would be considered freezing temperature and not apt to be braved. We stayed at home. The only problem was that our homes were built to take advantage of the breezes in the summer, and did not provide much cover against the cold weather.

The preceding, meaningless paragraph was brought to you by “Boredom, Inc.”, a subsidiary of “Apathy Corporation”. You may assume that it has not been a great day today. I have honestly tried to work and get things done; either the people I am calling are not in, or no one wants to talk to me this afternoon. Also, we are (temporarily, I hope) down to one car and, after having the use of two cars for sometime now, the scenario is complicated since both my wife and I work in sales and out on the streets, not in an office. Obviously, if you guessed that she has the car at this moment, you guessed right.

A couple of days have passed since the beginning of this post-to-be. I read it and there is not much worth the virtual ink that will be used to post it. On the other hand, it may turn out to be one of those pieces that start weak and gain strength as the words come on… then again, maybe not.

A fellow member of our church has died from cancer today. This was not a surprise yet, it is still the loss of a life; a life which has been shared with us at one time or another.  Some have shared it more; in my case, we had discussed the ravages of cancer and I had given her my best wishes and prayers for a healthy recovery. As time went on it was clear that the illness was taking its toll on the person, and that it would ultimately win this particular fight. She went back into the hospital some 3 weeks ago for a check up, and was not let out again. When we heard this, we knew that the end was near. Last week, she stopped the chemicals that were killing her inexorably and went home, to die in peace and in the midst of her immediate family.  At this point, my prayers changed and asked for a peaceful, speedy passing; free of any more pain. This morning, the news of her death reached us. We will miss her, but in a way this early death is better, since she was suffering most of the time and I understand in a very frail condition.

Sometime ago, as a VA patient, I was asked whether my organs would be available in case of clinical death. My wife is not in agreement with the concept of organ donation, I am and signed the card so stating.

I do believe in the fact that there are others whose organs are in worse shape than my own and who will be benefitted from receiving whatever of my flesh fits them. At that time I will no longer need any of it anyway. Death is a reality. In fact, it is the only guaranteed reality we are handed at the time of birth. Some believe that in denying this fact, death might be avoided (not!!) or delayed (neither!!). When it is time to go, tickets have been paid on your behalf, punched and ready for the one way adventure. I am actually much more afraid of not living a full life, mistakes and all, than of death. I hope that as Yolanda did, when the inevitable time arrives, I will have the strength of character to forego any chemicals and machinery, accept the moment and go in peace.

Anyhow… one bit of news that changed the course of whatever nonsense was going to be written originally.

Rest in Peace, Yolanda.

Be back!!  Be Well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...