Saturday, May 7, 2011

NARNIA REVISITED; A CHILD'S IMAGINATION

All that can happen when a movie is watched.  A life scrolls by the mind's window and many questions are asked. I am not sure about the answers; these can only come from within each one of us.  

The Chronicles 0f Narnia” is a series which, much like “The Lord of The Rings”, “Dune” and a number of other such groupings, deals with the ever constant battle of evil vs. good. I have to confess, I am a sucker for these type of stories and books. In fact, I am a sucker for books. Period. The Baggins clan of Hobbiton is by far my favorite. Over the last 30 years, it has entertained me at least 18 times and has become a perennial read. This includes the “prequel” (in today's terms) of “The Hobbit” which is a must if the complete story is to be truly understood. J.R.R. Tolkien, along with other favorites, has become for me a symbol for imagination, creativity and, simply, tremendous writing. But most of these stories have been written for adults who enjoy the fantasy genre. What sets apart “Narnia”, is that C. S. Lewis wrote it for children; it develops in a much lighter overall mood but, always managing to keep the subject matter in a very direct and just as deep a level as the other renderings.

What am I now, a book Maven?? No, my credentials for that position are not credible. Besides, I would always end up writing a good review. My respect for someone who actually is able to put together 300++ pages of a created world in a coherent manner is just too great. This particular blog is about one's own reaction to a story which is meant to reach you at different levels.

Just finished watching “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”, the second movie made from the Narnia collection. Actually, this morning's viewing was the second one; last night was the first. If you are not aware of this collection, it centers around four children of a “normal” British family, around WWII, who get drawn into an “imaginary” world of adventure, mythical talking “beasts”, and people; a kingdom where they earn the position of “high” kings and queens and where their presence is needed only at times when that world is threatened by major evil and needs saving. After the deed is completed, they are returned by the sacred Lion Aslan to their normal lives (quite drab by comparison) where no time has passed at all, even though they may have “lived and battled” in the fantasy world for several months, or even years. There is one catch, and this is what sets these stories apart: as the children get older (in their own world) and their interests become more of the adult kind, they can no longer return to Narnia. It then becomes a longed for “child's fantasy” in their minds and memories,while the drudgery of every day life takes over.

People I know, who live with both feet firmly planted in the ground (and the preposition “in” is intentionally used here) often accuse me of being a dreamer. There was a time when this bothered me; yet, as my age advances into the “I-just-don't-care-what-anyone-thinks-of-me” stage, accepting that indeed I am a dreamer, has actually become an enjoyable position in which to be. All my life there has been a nagging argument within my own mind: why, as we get older (as in early adulthood), must we become serious minded, almost pathologically centered on the concept of daily chores and duties, responsibilities ad nauseatum, and all this coupled with the ever increasing need to show to everyone else that we are grown ups, even when we do not want to "act" the part.

There has always been in my mind a separate reality where it is accepted that imagination and dreaming is not only needed and wanted, but necessary for survival. Along the way, life throws a lot of surprise curves at us. Some of these are consequences of what we choose to do; others are actually caused by circumstances out of our control, including other people. I have to admit that being a “dreamer” has helped to at times sidestep, bend, sway and react in a manner which has allowed me to overcome, adapt and survive periods of extreme issues in my life, while others with their feet firmly “in” the ground have simply ended up with broken  ankles.

My question is then: “Why must we put aside what is an integral part of our lives as growing up children, just to accommodate what older, uptight people view as the “right” way to act? The wording of the usual warning to those of us who refuse to accept this, begets more questions... “Why don't you act your age?” My usual answer to what I consider a foolish question is: “Why should I act, when I can Be?”

Needless to say, this answer and attitude have earned me many a long and not very friendly stare... It is understandable that a person wants to live in his/her reality. But what cannot be acceptable, is that a “reality” which works for a group by giving them an imagined safety anchor in their lives, must be made into a norm for everyone. At this point it is no longer functional.

There is a song, by an Argentinean favorite folk writer/singer, Alberto Cortez, which is about this subject; although it is called "Castillos en el Aire"(Castles in the Air) it is commonly known as “The Idiot”. It's about a man who knows he can fly with the seabirds and build castles in the air. He is happy; he lives at peace and content. Yet, the “others” are afraid this state of happiness they do not understand, can be contagious... they force him to, as punishment, have common sense and act as everyone else... In the end, the message is that he is not an idiot for thinking he can be happy, but for thinking that others will accept him as he is while they must suffer through their daily drudgery...

So, gladly I accept the mantle of the Idiot... while it is true that day to day issues have to be managed, I also know I can fly, dance and see castles in the clouds; my dreams are reality, some have have come through, some are yet to happen, but they will. I can look forward to what is yet to be accomplished and not just simply look back and consider what was not done. It is my happiness to be able to sit through a child's movie not once, but twice, and enjoy it for what it is: a message which tells us that when you really try, you can do; that creativity, imagination, courage and perseverance are at the core of life. No matter how many years may have passed since you were a child; You can always be one at heart and truly enjoy every day.

Be Back... Be Well!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...