Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Auntie Hortense and The Musketeers.


Auntie Hortense was a kindly and quiet lady… except when she read to me about the Musketeers and their adventures.

Everyone has a hero, or two… even three. In Dear Auntie Hortense’s case, there were four. When she was a very young girl she began reading, as a way to practice the art, about the Three Musketeers and D’Artagnan; they became a staple in her daily life. As a growing child, she was very convinced they were real and traipsing around the French countryside, running errands for the king and queen. Apparently no one could tell her, much less convince her, about the difference between fact and fiction. They were real … Period! ... No arguments!

As she grew up, the fictional reality of the story began to tentatively creep into her thought process but, don’t think for a minute that she believed these almost saintly characters –from her viewpoint, anyway- had never existed. She was willing to negotiate a settlement and admit that … maybe, just maybe, they had a streak a fiction in them. But that they never existed??? … Never!!! ... Jamais!!!

Auntie Hortense was otherwise a kind, quiet lady and somewhat into her years, by the time I met her. Or, at least, from the time I remember meeting her for the first time… Too many “times” to remember? Well, no matter…  It’s time to go on with the story.

She loved to tell stories of gentlemen saving ladies in distress; of horseback riders who would take down the baddies and, as they were cheered by the common folk, restore peace, love and unity to the countryside. Ahhh… nothing like a real dose of romance and romantic tales to make her eyes light up and, while showing her interlocutor the shine of her eyes, fondly think about those days of yore… yes, sir… those were the days!!

Many nights she would come to my bedside and sit there, asking if I wanted to hear about her beloved musketeers… and D’Artagnan, of course!!  As I looked into her eyes, I remember that all I would usually see were two huge windows into her mind, full of life, wistful imagination and a never ending love for the worlds where that gaze was firmly fixed.

Auntie Hortense could make that story come to life so vividly that, often, on those nights I would become a willing and enraptured audience of one … besides the love of a great tale, I knew this meant that the sleep “curfew” hours would go by the wayside … The following hours would bring me, through the world of Morpheus, into those very plains and forests where these brave musketeers pursued their quests, ending one enemy’s reign and assuring that the rightful queen or king would see the throne room from within its walls and not be left to look at it from without.

What wonderful nights those! I would find myself handling an epeĆ© and a blade better than all except, of course, the four heroes. I think this limitation was bred into the storytelling somehow. No way could a simple child be allowed to best her version of the “Superheroes”. And … Oh My!!! The horses flying through the grasslands and jumping over the riverbeds… Of course, not the stuff of real life but… Who Cares??

As all in this existence has a beginning and also, by definition of a finite life, has an end, so did Auntie Hortense. My knight(ess) in shining linen and silk took her last horseback ride when I was but 6 years old. This champion in training, yours truly, was devastated … nothing in life seemed to matter anymore.

Then, another wise court counselor (he presented himself to me in the guise of my grandfather, but I just knew he was really an important magician of yore) came and said to me:

- “Why don’t you try walking through the same glens and crossing the same riverbeds on your own?” - “I think your aunt would love to see you do this … and she is watching you, you know…”

Hesitantly, I asked him –“What do you mean?”

-“Come, let me show you…”

I took his hand and followed him through the hallowed halls of the familial manse, until we came to a small, guarded room… He opened the waiting doors and inside… an incredible number of books… about anything and everything that could be imagined or even fantasized… And there, in the Middle of the mound… was that magical book from which Auntie would read night after night…

Needless to say, I embraced that wonderful tale and many, many others as each one would open my mind’s eyes into these incredible worlds which came from the imagination of so many great writers… folk who could see beyond the immediate, into a world yet to be or… long past gone. But never to be forgotten.

Every time I reach for a book (and this happens quite often, you know) or every time I reach for the keyboard (not as often as I would like this to happen) Auntie Hortense’s face and eyes come to mind… the eyes that have it… the love of the fantasy, of the what if? … of the wide open plains inside and, yes, outside the mind … those dreary plains where we must abide in day to day pursuits.

Let your mind grow out… reach for those worlds that so many say do not exist for, as you believe in them, they become real in your life. Let all others be well set with their feet firmly planted on the ground… they can grow roots for all I care…

Don’t be afraid to let your heart wander and your mind wonder… It’s an incredible, never ending trip.

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...