Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Hidden Drawer of Tia (Auntie) Georgina...

Auntie Georgina is that aunt we all have… or had at one time or another… the one who never married… or the one who has decades of forced “widowhood”… the one who lives in her own world of memories, ideas… her “things”…


This is really an open letter to all those Aunt Georginas in our World… after all, they spoiled us as children and we loved them very much…

Dear Auntie Georgie:
We are closing in on a very special day… your birthday. This year has been pretty much of a mixed bag; some good things which made us laugh and some others… not so good and which made us cry… Do you remember so many years ago when we were children, and you gave us special candy with a sip of your special drink, in hiding so the grandparents would not see us? … when everything was so easy and we laughed so freely at so many foolish things? … What happened Auntie? Where did those beautiful, simple times go?

It has been a long while since my laughter has run so freely and, at times, I have felt like crying in silence… I know I am no longer that child, that these intervening years have brought on worries and pain… including the suffering of having lost very, very dear people… Those memories your image brings!!! How they keep me going today Dear Auntie!! Some with the honey of happiness, some with the bitter taste of the hard times.

But Auntie… you know what? Those things are beyond you now… they can’t bother you anymore… Look!! You who always sang at the drop of a note… I will close my eyes and you sing for me one of those songs you sang when I was a child, one of those that helped me fall asleep peacefully and with a smile in my heart… Do you remember?

Yes… I know much has happened in these years… I miss you so much Auntie!! I miss that person who always brought sunshine and hope, who made us laugh so much… Especially in difficult moments, those moments when we thought our innocent world was at an end… you always made me see this as “just one more step into growing up” and lifted my spirits.

I don’t like to see sadness Auntie… everyday we can begin anew, we can erase many of those things which seem to just hang in the air, around us… to put them into a box and seal it with love … remember how you used to tell me that doing this would allow us to face the new sun with a smile worth of the Gods…. Remember? 

I want to sing for you today Auntie… my songs of hope, of love; I want to tell you about all the good things and the bad things so we can share this coming time in love and life, not in that “petite death” which all bad memories bring to us and which force us to relive each one every time we let them come into our minds and hearts…

Let me do it Auntie!! Let me be, just once again, that little clown who made you laugh with his tricks and his jumps; who made you forget your bad moments, who helped you smile again and get up and go forward, ready to face anything which came your way… anything that dared bother you. I need to, you know… become like you, in a way…

Do you remember your “hidden drawer”? The special drawer where you would hide your papers and all those poems and stories you used to write in your early years… in a time when a woman was not supposed to “think”? I would give anything to be able to rummage through that drawer, to get lost in that wonderland world just one more time… with you as my guide and confidant.

Well Auntie Georgie… you know love you very much… I promise we’ll see each other again some day and that we will then have all the time we may need to do all these things that so many years ago you taught me to do… those things we enjoyed so much!! Remember me… that I am still here, that I think about you and that as you taught me, I don’t give up easily.

A Kiss Auntie… from here, to there… wherever you may now be, my dearest aunt…

Your Favorite nephew… Me!!!

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...