Monday, May 19, 2014

A Beautiful Thought.

Recently I read somewhere in FB a short recounting of a chance meeting

I wish I could think of who posted it to give the appropriate credit, but I can’t. Yet, the message really stayed with me and I wish this could become part of my mind frame, of my thought process.

How often have you met, perchance or intentionally, with someone you know and on parting utter a simple “be well” or “glad to see you” or worse yet… “Yes, we have to get together for lunch sometime…” knowing this will never come to pass… We have learned to behave in a routinely manner, a manner which takes little effort on our part to just “carry on” and present a civilized front, allowing us to get through the day or, in the end, to get through the routine of our lives.

Perhaps this is the reason that, when something comes across our senses, something different enough to rate a dissonant chord, we (I) pay attention. And sometimes, this something is impacting enough to stay with us, to maybe even effect a little change in our hearts.

This is a recounting of a chance goodbye heard in an airport; as a younger, yet middle aged woman, was leaving and an older lady was staying behind. As they were saying their very heartfelt goodbyes, the older lady kept telling the younger one “I wish you enough…”  “I wish you enough”. The younger woman, with moist eyes, repeated the same back to whom turned out to be her mother… “I wish you enough…”

After the pair parted, our interlocutor, his (or her) curiosity level at a high point… approached the older lady and said… “I couldn’t help but hearing your goodbye…” “What does –I wish you enough- mean?”

The older lady explained that she was approaching the end of her life tenure and this would probably be the last time she and her daughter would be together, for she lived overseas and it was too expensive to come back to visit. As for the “I wish you enough”, this was a catch phrase of a small “wish poem” that was part of the family’s tradition and lore… This is what the complete “I wish you enough…” would read:

"I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright…
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more…
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive...
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger…
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting…
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess...
I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye."

A lifetime of wishes in a few lines… Something to think about in this frenzied world of ours…

I wish you all enough…

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:

  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...