Monday, January 14, 2019

FROM WALLY’S POND. YET AGAIN.


“For me, a very definite change of attitude is that I have come to understand that it is my duty to take care of my own needs before taking care of the needs of others, including those who may depend on me. This is a simple statement; but its profound meaning and ramifications have taken me a lifetime to grasp and accept.”

The above is an excerpt of a blog entry written some 8 years ago, while undergoing the healing process from my bout with cancer as well as from the first of two hip replacement surgeries. Why look at it again now? Two reasons: first, I am in the middle of a general review, trying to choose entries to include in a “compendium” which may (or not??) come out in printed form and, second, this entry was recently used as a reading exercise in one of my English classes. So, it was fresh in my mind.

The over-all consensus on reading and discussing the content was that yes, a person in order to give must have something to, well, give. Cannot offer much -positively, that is- when there is nothing but emptiness, frustration or anger inside.

My thoughts those years ago were most likely influenced by then recent events to include illness and personal issues which, at the time were unsolved and weighing heavily on my day to day life. Having said the preceding, I’ll add that there has been sometime spent during the last few days reliving those feelings as they were then, vs. what their evolved version may be today. Being now eight years later and hence, eight years older.

From a vantage point of those added years and with a much cooler and more stable viewpoint (I hope!!) as well as being (thankfully!!) in different health and financial circumstances today, I will still hold fast to those thoughts as expressed then.

I have met many whose primary and sometimes only goal in life, is to make money in order to have “things” with labels on them. To this group, approval from others is important. I have noticed that most of these folks (please understand, it is not my intent to place a tag of “good or bad” people) can only share money or “things”. And when money and/or material possessions are not present there is a tendency to feel out of place; of not being worthy.

I have also met many others who have much less money and, hence, much less in the way of “things”. Families who make enough to keep a roof over their heads and put food on the table. Yet, have joy and love to share amongst themselves and with those around them. Their values are based not on the material things, but on an outlook which will help them go through the day and enjoy what they do have rather than suffer angst over what others may consider as a lack.

Is either path the better one? I really still do not have an answer which may be considered definitive. I don’t really believe anyone has that answer. We can only give what we have and think along the lines we have each learned to follow. There is a line from a song which in Spanish is called “El Pequeño Burgués”, and the line goes something like this:

If your values are spiritual, you may get to reach The Almighty; If your values are centered around money, you may go as far as the nearest bank”.

In my own case, over the course of a lifetime there were moments I have had, and moments when I have lacked. I have also found that the values and strengths which helped me get through some of the most difficult moments of my life (to this point…) had nothing to do with money. And much to do with experience, faith, commitment and an unending desire to not give up. To get over whatever it was and to move forward. And with the people who meant much to me and who cared about me.

I can only speak for myself. How about you?

Be Well … Be Back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...