Thursday, February 23, 2012

Love is a Many Splintered Thing…


 … said the carpenter ant to its queen…

-“Brudder… Hao Ar ju?” there was that familiar voice and softly accented cadence coming to my ears once again…

-“Cheíto… mi hermano… it has been a while since we talked!” answered I, in a calm voice which belied my haste of the moment.

-“Guell… Ju knoe” he continued… -T’ings hav been with a lot of problems hear”… “Felicita guants to move to De Gardens an’ dat cost a lotta pesos”… “Shi say dat hear in our little haus we got no roon no more and shi say dat in De Gardens houses hav gardens and ol’ dat”

-“Well”, I said, in my most conciliatory manner –“have you looked over there?”

-“Jes an’ OMG!!” he almost cried into the phone… “Ju t’ink them hauses made outta gold, or sumt’in lik dat!” … “Ju knoe brudder, this little man work very har to get t’ins for my Felicita an’ Princesita”… then, he added almost as if thinking out loud… “The only problem is dat my Princesita is getin’ older an’, ju knoe, the t’ins she wans are more money”

-“But Cheíto…” I added, “you know these things may be so, but you do need some more room than what you now have” I insisted -“with your Felicita and Princesita and Felicita’s mother…” he didn’t let me finish that thought!

-“Man, Doña Barracuda (not her real name, I add quickly) don’t do nut’in but eat and eat and eat…” –“I thin she went up like fortipound since she keim to liv wit’us”… then he continued –“if dat’s hier in the little place… imagin what shi will be laik if we gif her a roon all to hersel”

He had a point here… Doña Barracuda… I’m so sorry… Doña Julita, Felicita’s mom, sure does pack a mean seat of choppers… and seems to be always using them to their fullest capacity. Besides, in her mind, she is the queen of the roost and poor Cheíto is always the butt of her complaints.

Like reading my mind, Cheíto added: 
-“Ju knoe… dat woman always telin me I no good, I no wor’, I no give Felicita and Princesita nothin’”… after a few seconds of thought, he said: “Ju knoe, they had nuttin’ when I met dem… this little we have, I got wit har work man…” I let him go on… -“shi ‘preciates nuttin’… my Felicita tel me evry nite dat not giv no min’ to her… dat her mudder is ol’ and peleona (bellicose) but dat my Felicita lov me a lot… and my Princesita lov me to”.  

A moment of silence came over the waves…

Then he continued “Ju are my brudder man, I no hav nobody to talk to… Ju knoe I lov dem wif all my life…” As I knew he would, he then said –“tomoro we going to De Gardens to see a good house… Creo (I guess) dat shi’s rite and we need a more biger haus… jest hav to wor’ a few mor hours every week, ju knoe…” he then added his trademark ending…

“¡¡Que Dios nos ampare, porque la calle ‘tá dura mi hermano!!”

Loosely translated, the above means: “May God have mercy on us, because the streets are really difficult, brother”.

So we parted ways with Cheíto feeling a little better, now he had decided that Felicita was right and that they needed to look at a bigger house. I knew he would… He, like many who are in the same boat, works his tail off in a badly paid job, trying to make ends meet at home. He gives everything he has and then, next day… keeps on giving.

He doesn’t give up; neither should anyone; it is in our individual hands to continue the daily fight or to throw in the towel… 

What’s your choice?

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...