Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Today is Wednesday…


By the above heading, I guess I’m running out of working titles after some 250 entries…

No matter, a title is just a mini introduction to whatever comes behind… or below… as is the case here. It is the primary body of art that is important. Well, OK, the bunches of written lines that follow this shaky start.

As usual, when there is a lacking start such as this, we (Royal “We”, remember?) just sit here and type away, often not even truly looking at the page or what is there, so engrossed is the mind in what is trying to churn out. Then, at the end, I come back and read the black and white rendering all over again; at times little is done to change it, at other times… it goes into the little virtual trash can ensconced on the upper left corner of the screen. My God… I just realized that if this can were real and not virtual, the crumpled paper heap would be way over my head… Not a flattering thought.

I wonder if all the great writers (all right… I’m NOT including myself in this bunch… Please!!!) went through periods of blankness of  mind. I guess this is what is called “writer’s block”… I remember there was a time when Truman Capote went on the Johnny Carson show to cry about being in the midst of one of these periods. It must have lasted a long time, for he failed to write much after these confessions. Another great one who suffered from these blocks and tried to cure himself by drinking every ounce of alcohol in sight, was the late, great Papa Hemingway.  To him we owe the “Mojito”, the rum-lemonade- sugar drink; he was quite a character, by all accounts of those who professed to know him.

Whenever I read an interesting book or story, one of the admiring questions I always had in mind… even as a child, was: “What would it feel to be able to conjure up a whole world, with flora, fauna and people (are we sheltered under the concept of “fauna”?), sometimes to include a new and different language (as in “The Lord of the Rings where there were several developed languages, to include a written version, or perhaps “Klingonese” from the Star Trek universe) just fascinates me… the mind it takes to do these creations, must indeed be incredible!

I realize that my mind flies –at the drop of a hat- in many directions, sometimes at once, managing to create a very confusing kaleidoscope of imagery which actually makes sense only to the producer… that’s me. After reading some of the entries along the way, this somewhat cloudy vision has tried to come through on more than one occasion, although this multiple direction imagery is very difficult to put into words. At least words that can help the reader visualize what is being represented. And if I can’t help you visualize the image, then going there makes no sense at all.

So, we sit here and try to put some of these thoughts into words while reviewing different happenings of the last three or four days. Some of which can be understood… some others, frankly, fall into that category under the heading “to be looked at later… much later” and are thus filed away. Probably never to be dug up again… or so I think.

What makes a story worth telling? Actually, it is my belief that all stories deserve a chance, no matter how trivial they may seem at the time of their actual happening. What is the old saying?  What may be trivial to one person, to another is the essence of life… or something like this.  I know, for a fact, that writing these entries is important for me. Yet, there are a few for whom this is viewed as a total waste of time, for there is no money involved… for these folk, there is no gain to be perceived. Yet, for me, there is an incredible gain. Thinking time… time which allows me to get into a thought process and leave all else behind, at least for the 45 or 60 minutes it may take to complete an entry. This is good time… for me, anyway.

It is now time to put away the computer keys… in other, older times, we would have said “the pen and paper”… duty calls and so I must heed this call… At some point in the future we will follow this line, to see where it goes. It may actually prove to be interesting. Then, there are other times when some more postcards will be in the making… Hang in there with me!

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...