Saturday, August 13, 2011

Endings...

Is it really worth forcing myself to sit and write when my head is truly elsewhere?  Can't say it has not been done; there have been at least four occasions when this has happened and, feeling much like today, I sat and wrote. Two of these efforts actually made it to post, after much deliberation. Two did not because, even to my eyes, they were not worth the effort. So, based on this observation, this will be written and then... we shall see.

Sometimes there are many issues in my head; often they compete for space and attention amongst themselves (no, I am not schizophrenic…) and usually, one or two win out. Perhaps they simply outlast the others in their quest for attention from my gray matter. And this brings to the fore some thoughts (hmmm… could be trouble here!!) regarding those times when we simply give up on a quest (maybe too grandiose a term) or on achieving an objective. This last, having been recently looking closely at the Buenos Aires years, begs a question: Could I have really convinced the Board to extend my contract at that time? Probably yes, we could have perhaps come to an agreement. There were some issues which were still pending but, in the end, a time came in which I simply threw my hands into the air and said something along the lines of “So be it!!” (I think it was closer to “The hell with it!!”).

The experience had been good. It is important to understand there were two theater plays going on: the professional one and the personal one. On the professional front it had gone well, but at the end of the third year we were fast approaching a decision juncture, and this was being strongly fueled by several circumstantial happenings in the country’s economic front.  The personal front, on the other hand, had been deteriorating steadily for some time now; almost for the last 5 years (from before we actually left the US) and the time in Argentina, although good for the children did not do for us, as a couple, anything to improve relations. In fact several confrontations had taken place and I was really more immersed into the work than into the home front. Not a good choice? Probably not; yet, at the company results were measurably there and I was needed; at the home front, we had a totally different set of circumstances.

Sometime during the latter part of this third year it became clear that the newer board members (now a majority) favored looking at a replacement for my position. The original members, who had been there all along were dead set against it and were able to put down the motion a couple of times as it was brought up.  The company was doing well and growing. This trend made the first group bolder in their idea that all could continue to move forward with someone who was not being paid in USDollars at the helm. Actually, as General Manager and CEO, I was in actual agreement with this line of thought. No surprises there, since my costs (with all that was included) represented a major % of the expenses line; actually, they were equal to the costs of the rest of the Home Office employees combined.

The board member who had sponsored the actuary/administrative person, seemed to have a very defined interest in seeing his “protégé” (sounds better than his “playmate”, no?) succeed me as the new GM. Looking back after all was done, it was almost funny how Mary (let’s call her this, it is a fairly common name) knew in advance whenever some of the older, more impressionable members (she was a handsome woman, transparently putting her best assets right up front…) would be coming to the office for an impromptu meeting. It came to be that I would also know because on those days, she came to the office appropriately undressed. Wonder where she got the “heads up”? I can certainly attest that many, and especially older men who otherwise manage to be somewhat intelligent, will become utter fools whenever there is an attractive, coquettish female present.

 Towards the end of the year, the original members of the board and I huddled in order to define whether or not my contract extension (2 more years) would be feasible. As it turned out, the government had just announced some economic measures which pushed inflation into a triple digit rate again, and the local currency into a devaluation spin. With this reality on the table, there was no real way to structure a contract which would allow some relief to the company, yet allow me to meet my financial obligations in the US as well as the ones in Argentina

So it was that on or about November of 1989, I tendered my resignation to the board. In exchange for doing this quietly, all my repatriation expenses were paid, and my contract was extended for two months, along with a handsome severance package which would give me some leeway in my search for a new job in the US. Actually, when the decision was made back in October during that private meeting, my phone calls to my contacts in the US began in earnest. By the time of my arrival in Miami in January of 1990, I already had a position waiting for me and I was lucky, this was a good spot at a good company where I would be able to resume my career in the US in very good standing.

My family stayed behind so the children could finish their school year (the school they went to followed the US/Europe time schedules) and I found myself back in Plantation, Fl., where I had insisted on the purchase of a condo prior to going to South America in early ‘86. These were three months, between my return and the return of the rest of the family, during which I had some good reflection time, anticipating the return of my wife and the children.

Was our time down south good for us? Still to this day the children (well, not so “children…ish” anymore) still have very good memories and even one or two friends who remain. From that point of view, on the family front, yes it was a good time and place. From a professional perspective I view this period as a major challenge which was met and completed; it is a source of a strong feeling of accomplishment and a “job well done”. Not just by me, but by all those who committed to this dream and understood that it could be done. From the company messenger to the management cadre and we cannot forget Maddy… of course!!

My best and most cherished compliment came from the board member who had been my staunchest ally throughout the 3 years, Gabby. He was a true marketer; every idea and every crazy twist he understood and supported; many of these ideas achieved success due to his unconditional support. He came directly to my office after the board members had voted to accept my resignation.

-“I wanted to be the one who came with the news” he said. –“Unlike most of these people, I know and understand what we have truly accomplished here and wanted to say thank you”.

That was it. We embraced (latin style) and said goodbye. The company went on to its eventual and profitable sale some 5 years later and I am happy to report that cooler heads prevailed when an interim GM was named by the board. It was not Ms. Congeniality.

More later… Be well… Be Back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...