Thursday, August 18, 2011

Up, Up and Away...


From therapy, to weight gain to the treadmill… and UFO’s???

During a two year stint with a hormone suppressing drug in my system, following radiation therapy for the CA, as hard as I tried not to gain weight, I did. Not much, mind you. For someone who is 6’2” I went from 195 to 215 pounds which, in itself, is well within the normal weight numbers for this height. Since my medicine was taken out a few months ago, my body is beginning to respond better to exercise and (almost) every morning yours truly heads to the communal gym for a session on the treadmill and some upper body stuff. Usually, during weekdays, I am alone there and get to set the TV to my taste… which does not run to either CNN, or FOX, or MSNBC. I am truly sick of the manner in which each "news" station manipulates the slant towards their particular likes. Sooo… my little fingers usually head towards Discovery, SyFy or the History Channel.

That’s how this morning, while I was very hard trying to keep up with the treadmill, I was watching a program which caught my attention on the History Channel. It was about UFOs and a short history of what has been shown over and over again in many stations all over the world. From the (in)famous site 51 to all the other stories we have come to know and love. And as always, the derisive comments made throughout the ages. Yet, there were also testimonies from people who have to be considered prepared, intelligent, having a professional background and who do not consider chewing and spitting tobacco an Olympian contest. These were attorneys (well… no comments), pilots and crews, law enforcement officers, and a sprinkle of MDs and others. The thought being, I assume, that these folks will lend a modicum of credibility.

Now… that was a long introduction to any comments that may follow. If you read these entries on a regular basis, then you know that my thought patterns are fairly eclectic (sounds much better than “crazy”)and that there is not much to which my initial response would be… Bah, Humbug!!  Besides, sightings in the sky have been documented from way before our world had anything other than birds flying around the clouds. Also, paintings in caves that show human like figures encased in what we now call “space suits”, as well as early prints which depict what seems to be an aerial battle over Zurich, Switzerland; except this happened some three hundred plus years ago. Huh??

Why is it so difficult for us to simply accept that our planet may be but one of many inhabited such planets which do exist? After all, there are billions of suns in the known universe and many of these can have planets around them that may be quite capable of supporting some life form(s). The concept of religion is not even coming into discussion here, although it would not be an exclusive factor in the discussion necessarily. But, let’s just let the numbers open that possibility for us…

Over time, there have been two extremist theories (among many others) which have been utilized to try and explain the inability of many to even consider the idea of “space people” as a viable scenario:

1- The “centrist” (prefer to call it the “Self-centered”) theory believes that we are the central focus of life in the universe and that there cannot be other life forms, especially more advanced than us (seems that accepting that their craft may be flying around our skies may well prove that concept, soo.. no deal!!). These are probably the descendants and torch bearers of those who shunned and/or maimed others just for saying that the earth was round. Of course that there can be other interstellar “people” and more intelligent/advanced to boot. I assume there may also be those with a lower intellect (as we see it, which in of itself is a measure that might well be not applicable) than ours.

2-   The “They-are-better-than-us-and-will-bring-us-peace,-health-and-prosperity” movement. This was prevalent in the 60’s and 70’s… I wonder if it had anything to do with the hash culture then lived within many layers of our society. Those who adhered to this idea argued that any beings who were so advanced that interstellar travel was not a problem for them, had to be peace loving, free of malice and illnesses and would give us instant cures, gratification and also put all the ills of the world to rights while at it.

The above is a bit of tongue in cheek, but not too far from some of the actual scenarios. There are members of the scientific community who spend a lifetime looking for answers that would fit within concepts they can explain. The only problem is that, hard as they try, there is always something that falls outside their parameters.

It is an interesting topic and one that has always captured my attention; no, not the lineup of movies about the proverbial little green men (though, who knows? there may be some of those also) but those documented sightings or historical evidence which indicates that something that is or was not explainable at the time of the occurrence, actually did happen. It seems that for all the efforts of the Air Force famed Blue Book Project, there were some 15 - 20% of sightings which were actually unexplainable… considering they investigated thousands, that leaves a fairly high number of “encounters” open to discussion.

I had my own “encounter’ (I think). I am not saying anything other than describing what I saw on a winter night, on my way home some 40 years ago. Going east on a crossing highway in New York, to meet with I-95 and head north to Ct., where I lived. About 8pm on a crisp, clear, starry winter night.  I was getting close to the 95 turn off and there was some slow traffic. Something caught my attention in my peripheral vision, out of the driver side window. I looked over and saw a very bright light but assumed it was just another star. I do not know how far it may have been, but it was clearly seen.  The traffic had stopped at that point and I looked again, seeing this light point suddenly flash ahead (easterly, in the direction I was headed) and it moved what could easily have been 3-4 miles in a matter of less than 2 seconds. That caught my attention. Then, it stopped and just hung there for some three seconds. Huh?? I said to myself… Not content, then this light flashed again, backwards and up, at a 45 degree angle and came to another stop at about the same place it was before, except higher. This was followed by a forward dip, steeper than 45 degrees, a short (1-3 seconds) total stop and then a sudden ascent into the night sky, almost at a 90 degree angle. I followed by sight until it disappeared within all the star lights.

This happened almost 40 years ago, but I remember it as yesterday. What was it? I have no idea. For all I know it was a cigarette ash flying around but, I don’t think so. I cannot put a name, just describe what was seen and the time it took, which was not more than 15 seconds. From what we know, even today we do not have an aircraft capable of doing the shifts, stops and sudden, incredibly fast motions that light did on that winter night 40 years ago.

Are there others out there? I do believe there are. Who knows, perhaps they are as scared of us as we might be of them… and well they should be, considering what we  are capable of doing to each other down here.

What do you think?

Be Well… Be Back!!
Hellooooo.... Anybody Home????

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...