Monday, October 3, 2011

The World According to Cheito…


Writing these posts has become somewhat of an important routine for me and, I hope, just an important routine for you to read. Yet they are also demanding, since there is not always a topic (yes, I know that memories are many) handy. So, I invited my friend Cheito (Our own endearing diminutive for Joseph) from Hialeah to, once in a while, share the load. His views are his own…
Hola!! It feels pretty good to be invited to write something here … no one usually ever gives a flying hoot as to what I say, much less what I think. But now, maybe this little posting (sounds just like the cereal I eat while my Cachita makes my eggs and chorizo in the mornings …) will take me to fame and fortune… My friend Rafa tells me just to say, in a decent way you know… whatever comes to mind. Actually, it makes me feel pretty good he thinks I have one.

Man, life in this country of ours is getting tougher by the day. Just got laid off… guess this is a fancy way to say got my a… kicked out… just trying to be decent, yu’know… don‘t want this to be my only shot at infamy and misfortune … sumtin’ to do while the stamps come in… Man, that’s goin’ to be a busy office, with me and my other 12 amigos that got laid off showing up along with all the regulars who're already there …

The other day I was driving my little Felicita (my 10 year old angel) to practice. She plays sofbol … I don't know if that's right, it just sounded like that when she said it too fast, at this school where she goes in Hialeah. I am not sure exactly what this is, but it just looks like they are playing pelota with a bigger ball and funny rules. Also, we have to put money in the hat to pay the refs, because the guys need a couple beers after the game, you know. Anyway, we were there watching the girls play, when this politician came in to sit with us. I’m not sure what his name was; I just called him Sr. MoreJobs, because that is all he kept saying he was going to give us if we just voted for him. Promise, promise, promise… like all the other guys who want to have a shot at the money in city hall. After he left, I found out the bastard (I’m sorry… I’ll be good … but he is a lousy one) owns the place where me and my friends just got booted from… and he’s gonna give us more jobs?

Joe the grocery man keeps telling us that whatever we buy on stamps, he gotta charge more for. Somethin’ about not getting paid on time from the gov’ment and having to wait too long for his money. But it’s OK if we pay for cigarettes and beer with these papers, just that he gotta discount the value. Fancy talkin’ for the corner guy, huh? All I know I had to give him $20 worth of stamps to pay for $10 worth of goodies we needed… he says he takes all the risks and doing this will cost (us, for sure) more money.

All I know is that a few years ago, mi Cachita was working at the factory and I was doing many jobs … all for cash money you know … better that way with taxes and all that stuff I don’t know about… we were doing OK. We bought this little apartment and I could even take her sometimes to her favorite restaurant to have picadillo with rice and beans… followed by a flan, and then have a couple of beers while we listened to Pepito play and sing some boleros. Nice huh??  It was really romantic and set the mood … well, you know… Man, now we can’t even afford to say hola to the new guy who bought the place from Pepito’s papito…  He doesn’t serve Cuban food no more… now he serves something called “Specialty Latin Cuisine” and doubled the prices. Funny, I read the menu the other day and it sounded like it was the same old rice and picadillo, ‘cept now it said something like “exquisitely seasoned ground beef on a bed of fluffy white rice, accompanied by a delightful blend of tropical beans and a side of sweet bananas, tasty and perfectly fried”…  Sheesh! Sounded like doubletalk to me!! And expensive!!

I dunno… I have to learn all that fancy talk and maybe I can call myself “Well seasoned and multiple experienced jobber who will bring to the transitory position a balanced approach of accomplishment while at the same time, being able to manage time efficiently so as to multiply the hours dedicated to the task at hand” How’s that for a presentation? I asked my friend Rafa to write that for me to copy… well, what do you want from me? Miracles? … You think I could charge $15 an hour with that description? I gotta do sumtin’ because my Cachita’s beginning to get mad. She says we need more money and more things. I don’t know what to do.  

My car is breaking down and all the parts cost so much money … I know I can get Juanito my neighbor to fix it for a few dollars, I fixed the kitchen plumbing for him last month, but he told me to buy all the parts. Guess I’m going to see Pedro, the parts man. He owns an old beat up garage down the road, but sometimes he can get parts if we tell him ahead of time. Funny, his prices are lower than anybody else’s, some people say nasty things about him. Something about stolen parts and stuff… I dunno, but all I know is that I need to have my car working… and don’t have the money to take it to a funny name garage. I have to be able to take my little angel to play sofbol…

I’m not a fancy writin’ guy. I’m just mad that everybody wants some of my money and nobody is willing to do things the right way. Who cares about some fancied up guys who spend all their time in them fancy places in South Beach? Most don’t work and always have cash money… Santa Claus doesn’t come every day, you know? And the Three Wise Kings are still waiting to get their lottery visa to get out of Cuba; they ain’t going back ever, because their camellos were confiscated last time there was a meat shortage. Something about sharing with the people’s revolution … All they got back were the hoofs for good luck.

Well, I gotta go get in line at the agency. They are funny; come early so you can get in line and wait all day… but then, somethin’s better’n nothing!!  Hey!!  …  Be careful of them politicos, they sure talk nice’n fancy and make a big deal about stuff while saying nothin’ new …  just like the new guy at the restaurant and his funny looking menu… all those fancy words to talk about the same rice and beans while charging twice the cost…

Have fun!! Gotta Go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...