Thursday, December 1, 2011

NVMY JAG


Yeah, I know … I also stared at this little message for a couple of minutes before the absurdity of it finally came across…

When one has seen as much in so many places as I have, it’s not easy for something as simple as a “coded message” to catch my attention. Notices plastered on cars usually have to do with politics, children in the Honor Roll, children in said Roll being beaten by children not in Honor Roll (Dishonor Roll maybe?); the environment, whether in favor or against ( this last a definite minority, for which I am grateful) or some view regarding Christianity or religion in general. Also, we often see the small, colorful glued ads for different restaurants, vacation places (I was in … wherever) You know… What the mind can conjure up, some sign artist is usually willing to put on plastic … for a price, of course.

Yet, as I was coming back home this afternoon after 5 straight hours of ESL classes, I was following this perky little car with a plate that read [NVMY JAG]. Yeah, I know… after looking at this now, it sort of jumps at you. But this afternoon, I guess my mind was elsewhere (not a good way to drive) and it took a couple of minutes to translate into plain English: [ENVY MY JAGUAR]. My initial reaction was to laugh … then, the ubiquitous thinking machine was set in motion, and it took over.

What … I asked myself, can drive an individual to think up such a message, pay the extra fees to get it and then, actually place it on the plate holder for all to see? We have seen hundreds of these special plates, most of them telling us about a preference, or trying to impress upon the fellow driving the car behind, a good captive audience, the name of the owner of the car in question. Well and good … but to ask me to envy his dealing with a higher monthly payment?

What kind of extreme lack of self confidence can drive someone to do this? Is this his idea of what he (yeah … small weenie time … it was a he) should be envied for? In fact, why “envy” at all? Might be better to ask me to enjoy the car being driven; this I could understand … I like cars and truly enjoy having and driving a good car, whatever my current economic status allows me to buy, rent, lease or, you name it ... When my age was rounding the 5- 6 year mark, my grandfather would proudly show me off because my then few known abilities included looking at a car from a distance and name year, make and model. My love affair with these hungry, mechanical beasts has never died out.

But, back to the “ENVY” plate. When a person, and an apparently successful looking one at that, reduces his or her ego to function only as a reflection of things owned I wonder what would happen, for I have seen it happen more than once, if these are stripped away? Over the years there have been many documented suicides which have come as a result of such losses. If I, as a man, think that my only or primary worth is what material things I own, then losing them will be a blow to me; such a hard blow that survival as an entity will be put to question.

Unfortunately, when something like this crosses my path, I usually go back to the preaching pulpit or, if you prefer, the cybernetic soapbox…  Self worth is such an intrinsic part of a person that it cannot be intertwined with outside “things” which can be bought and sold. I can only speak for myself on this, but my teachings from a very early age on, helped me understand that “who” I was would always be much more important than “what” I was or “what” I owned at any given time.  And I am grateful for this base. In a social gathering, it is very common to have people describe themselves as a function of what it is they do for a living. Especially if it is a job or profession recognized as “important”. The old joke line “My son the doctor” takes on a new meaning. We overlook the fact that the “doctor” or the “lawyer” or the corporate “CEO” happen to also be human beings. Each is full of good things and foibles too; with achievements and failures. But this personal side is forgotten for it, apparently, is deemed not as important.

What a pity!! To ignore the beautiful uniqueness of each of us so as to be identified as one more of the bunch, wearing the easily recognizable material apparel of acceptable common success, while ignoring the much more difficult to earn apparel of the basic human being. It may be humble and not have a designer brand splattered across the forehead, but it is very unique and its worth cannot be measured in dollars, for It is who we are. In the end, what we have can be lost in a moment; but who we are, is that intrinsic strong and individual quality which will allow us to face and accept the losses, keep our head up and start all over again.

Put that on your license plate!!!

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...