Friday, December 2, 2011

Another Phone Call From Cheito…


“Compadre…” said a familiar voice over the phone … “Aquí no hay ná” -- “There is nuttin’ here” … and so started the conversation this morning with my friend Cheíto who, by now, has become your friend also.

“Cachita drivin’ me craaasy amigo…” (You do understand this, right? No dual translation needed unless a radical sumtin’ – I’m beginning to sound like him!! – comes up)“Why?” I asked him, diving into what I knew would be a strange, as usual, dialogue but … a friend in need …

“Yestiddy, I tol’ her that we din’t had no money to spen’ in Krismass” “She wen’ nuts!!” “WHAT JU MEEN no money?” -- “What ju gon’ to do ‘bout Princesita’s regalos?” (gifts)  “She wan’s the PiePod … ju know, that music thin’” “An’ she wan’s a new dress to go to her fren’s fiesta” – “An’ uncle Chucho’s comin’ with his family for Krismass dinner” – “What ju thinkin’?” “We gonna giv’m Boorger Kin’s hanboorgers?” -- “An’ my heir coorling thin’ to make my heir luuk pretty … JU PROMISE ME!!!

I have to admit, even I was surprised at the level of anguish that was in my friend’s voice. At some point in this outpour, he had to stop for air; I took advantage of this split second breath and, before he could start again, said “What happened to you job?” “Are you still working?”

“Compadre … dat man’s craasy … he wan me to work 12 horas evry day… an’ no overtine neether!!” –“He knoes dere ar no mor jobs we can get an’ reely treet us like a lotta junk!!” – “I’m tired an’ Cachita tells me I’n never hon and that I pay no ‘tenshun to her!!” – “She wan’s me to … ju knoe … con hon an’ be … ju knoe!!”  --  “Yes, I think I know Cheíto" I said,  not really wanting to hear intimate details… "so … what is going to happen on Christmas?”  “Will you be able to get that dress and the IPod for your Princess?” “How about the curling iron and the dinner for Chucho and his family?” – “They do eat a lot, you know…”

“Ju knoe how’ thins ar” … “I have a little cash mony put aguey … for ‘merjencees an’ thins like dat” --  “I cain’ say no to my Princesita … I guess I haf to get’r dat pod thin an’ the dress for the fren’s fiesta”… “She gonna look so linda (pretty), ju knoe … I cain’ wait to see her”.  “An’ my Cachita … she jels (yells, I think) an’ ol dat, but she a good lady to me” – “beside, she gonna look pretty too wid her koorly heir”

“Well, I am happy to hear this Cheíto … but what about Uncle Chucho? I asked, knowing that this side of his family had a gargantuan appetite…  I know, I had been at a dinner where I witnessed the amounts of food this little group could put away collectively as well as individually.

“I knoe” he said … I thin’ I goona ask’m to bring some fud” – “He knoes my job not so gud now” – “If he don’t wanna do dis … I tel’im we not goin’ to haf a comida” (dinner). “Cachita be OK ‘cuz she get her koorly heir thin’” … “But I thin’ dey will bring fud … dey lov to con heer”

“Well, I am happy for you and your Cachita and, yes, the Princesa also … sounds like things will be OK after all”

“Hey compadre … than’s for ur jelp … Dat’s why I call u” -- “Have a Feliz Navidad (Merry Christmas)”  -- “Ju comin’ to Miami this year?”  -- “Yes, I think we will be coming to Miami this Navidad… we'll be there for a few days” – “Den we gonna see u?” – “Yes my friend, we will have a cafecito and talk for a while” – “Dat’s gud!! I tell Cachita, she be bery happy!!!” – “Call me!!”

Then, we both hung up and went about our thins’ –sorry, things- I suppose. Really, all I did was listen ... sometimes this is all it takes. I began to think about this good person, someone who came from a very humble and good family and who is desperately trying to keep his own family afloat in these very difficult times, like so many others are. I knew he had a little stash, he always does. I also knew he would not hesitate to use this to give his little princess the gifts she wanted. Whatever Cheito has always goes to his beloved family. Even Felicita, his mother in law, will get her little presents.

How many folk are going through the same problems during these times? According to those who keep records of what goes on at this time of the year, the number of letters to “Santa Claus, North Pole” has already increased dramatically this season. And many of the messages are not even asking for presents … just a desperate plea that “mom or dad, or both, are able to find a job because they have no money and are fighting a lot” A reflection of today’s reality.

Take a good look at your own lot; take stock of all you do have … this upcoming season is that special time to remember others who have less (and, no matter how little you may think you have ... others have much less) and, of those, many have nothing… There are families who will not be able to celebrate for they have nowhere to do so and less with which to do it. If you can join, contribute to, or volunteer with one of the centers or one of the organizations that help these families to, at least, have a few moments of relative peace and happiness … and bring a smile to some of these children, who would have no reason to smile otherwise. Does this mean you may have one less gift? Or that instead of three side dishes your table will have “only two”? Think about that receiving family who will only have that one gift or the “one side dish” because you were kind enough to share this with them.

As Cheíto always tells me “Ju knoe, my fren’ … life’s tuff but ju gotta be tuffer”…  I guess so my dear Cheíto and thank you, for being my friend.

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...