Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Catch as Catch Can...


This week’s postings will be on a “catch as catch can” basis. Away from home and working with an iffy connection, it is not an easy task.

There has been reaction to the last posting, and this has been good. Most people who have contacted me either through emails or by phone, just wanted to remind me that friendship and love will, in the end, win out over sadness and pain of loss. And this is completely right, of course. I am now looking forward to a future in which much will be accomplished, and some of it will be in memory of Eric, tackling those areas which were dear to his heart.

Through my step daughter I am now entering a phase of “grandparenthood” which I find somewhat difficult to manage… mentally, that is. Through my own children, it seems that there will be few opportunities to experience this so, I will embrace my “step-grandson” (this nomenclature sounds horrible, no?) as just plain grandson, and dedicate whatever time I can to him and aid in his growth… physically and mentally. He is a sharp boy, much in tune to those things we, the (much) older generation(s), tend to look at sideways. Of course, his knowledge of things electronic is vast and fairly complete, with the tendency to look askew at those of us lesser mortals who actually need an explanation as to which knob or protrusion to push when playing the (in)famous X-Box. On the other hand, I can best him on the basketball court and this has him vexed, for he strongly feels that the old man should not be able to do much there… so, every time I “swish” one by him, he looks up and says… “How did’u do that?”… some small satisfaction there…

We put up a movable basketball hoop on the driveway, one of those where the base is filled with water; it actually works pretty well. The neighbor’s kids came over and we played 2-on-2, with my grandson and I being one of the teams. He is a little overweight and a main purpose of the old man going out there and playing, all prepped up with a couple of aspirins for the aching knees, is to get him into the game; enough so that when we leave he stays interested.

What is interesting in this scenario is that they live in a “closed” neighborhood. You know, one of those where a bored to death guard sits at the front booth and makes it look like “he/she” is really tough and “on top of things” when, in reality, all they are on top of is the latest issue of their favorite magazine. Anyway, a must in every one of these is the dreaded “Association” with all the rules and regulations its usually out of work officers can dream up. They seem to have little else to do (at least in this place) and one of the regulations is that there can be nothing that defaces the front of the living abode. You know, in the pursuit of having everything look the same… pastel colored, two (not three or one) palm trees up front and all boringly alike.

So, on putting this hoop up I did mention to the lady of the house that it would be a sore point with the association.  Her response? “Sue me”… “this is for my son and for the kids around, so they have something to do besides sitting in front of the bloody (my translation of her Spanish expletive) TV screen and playing with the Xbox.”  I have to add she is not one to shy away from confrontations when she firmly believes that she has the right of it, even against regulations. “Besides” she added “there are 4 other houses where they have the same hoops… if they want mine down, they all have to come down”  I have to say here that she has already stared down the Association Director in a couple of other issues… they have a history and I’m betting on the lady of the house.

I have a strong background of going against this type of regulations when it is my belief that they are totally out of sync with the reality of what is going on at the moment. I hate the concept that someone else has, simply by his or her say, a controlling effect on what is my right to do and/or my life to live. Of course, these are not issues where another person will be hurt in any manner of speaking. But just because someone does not like a color, or an accent or a way to do something does not give him or her, the right to impose this dislike on others. And what amazes me all the time is how easily this is done. And when an individual (in the true sense of the word) actually stands up to the "junta" with intelligent arguments, there is no response other than to cite the regulation and make threats about going to court. That answer is pure… nonsense (I’m trying to keep the “G” rating so the word that is really on my mind will not make it here) And in this case, when the lady of the house is herself a litigation attorney… well, their shaky grounds course will not be easy. And they know it.

Anyhow… things of Christmas present(s)… Basketballs, neighborhood associations and driveways… children who should be allowed to be children and so-called adults who have little to do and much time to do it in… An interesting mix…

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora” … The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...