Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In The Midst of Plenty…


There is always the unquenchable thirst for more…

As it is wont to be, the title above is but a mere suggestion of what can eventually, possibly, find its way to this post. Or not. That’s right… one more time when, as I sit at the computer, the mind goes blank and the spirit sags a bit.

In more than one past entry, the concept of the paranormal –in one way or another- has been touched on. You know by now that I was brought up within the concept of spiritualism which, as far as we knew back then and in that world, went hand in hand with Catholicism. Well… doesn’t it?... You say no to this?? Then you have not been brought up in an island in the middle of the Caribbean, surrounded by folk who are umpteenth generation Africans, Spaniards, etc… all very susceptible to these airs. And very much proponents of the spiritual realm… on this earthly plane, of course!

Last night I went to bed, as I usually do, after 11pm. Despite the fact that today my get up time was 6am. Usually, my sleep time lasts for some 5-6 hours, interrupted once or twice by the need to visit the cabin in the backyard. Normally, I am able to sleep soundly and get back to those awaiting Morphean (Morpheusian?) arms but last night, try as I may, getting back to sleep was not an easy task. It was downright difficult. Furthermore, whenever I was able to actually snatch a stretch of sleep, there was a dream with a recurrent theme: my son.

My nights and sleeps are not given to dreaming interludes or sequences. Rarely do I remember a dream other than those which are impacting enough to be vividly reviewed, as if being projected on a screen hanging right in front of my forehead. These few and vivid dreams are not usually pleasant in content or development. Yet, this morning I could only think of my son and about the dream sequences which crowded my sleep last night. All pleasant, all featuring an Eric who was enjoying whatever it was he was doing at the time and sharing it with those around him, myself included.

As I was trying to figure out what this might mean (no, not looking at the cards for this…) in a somewhat logical manner, I happened to glance at the phone face and then it hit me… today is the anniversary of his death. There is a picture of him on my night dresser, next to my head. Often I will say good night and/or good morning and I love you to his likeness and perhaps hoping this will be heard somewhere, somewhen… wherever he may be… wherever his spirit is pursuing what it is spirits do pursue, once they are free of their corporeal cages.

I have to say that all that my grandfather taught me regarding the spiritual world came back in a hurry… there had been no reason for the dreams, the uneasiness, the almost anxious feelings that held me throughout the night. Was there a message somewhere in this? I don’t know. Perhaps.  Perhaps the images of a happy Eric are a feeding of my own thoughts about him; perhaps the smiling and the sharing of this happiness that came through, almost as a conceptual construct, are just trying to say “I’m OK” “and I want you to know”…

Too much? ... Who is to say so?

We pass on as our bodies wither and die. Often, against the natural order of things, much too early… much too soon… as certainly was the case with Eric. Those of us who are left behind will have the choice of acceptance or of belligerent reaction. If we believe in a Higher being, then we will accept and even rejoice in the fact that what was a tormented spirit here on earth, may well be OK and at peace now.  That, in itself, is a welcome idea. To think or want the contrary would only be an expression of selfishness… “I want you to be here regardless of how you fare…” If we truly love, we can’t do this; can’t think this way.

Enjoy your loved ones, time moves faster than you may think and takes its own toll and payment whenever and wherever it may wish to do so. It doesn’t usually hang a banner to let us know that our allotment is coming to an end. Enjoy the road while you try and get to the desired goals; but always love, cherish and enjoy those who walk along these roads with you.

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...