Friday, July 13, 2012

More from the Shores of Wally’s Pond…


It’s really quiet here, sitting among the trees and flowers that surround this tranquil oasis; the water clear and fresh lapping at my feet and… in doing so, helping to clear my mind.

Yes, I know; that very mind which is being cleansed and refreshed is the creator of this beautiful spot… perhaps a sign of these troubled times when we have little access to peace and to privacy. We have to retreat to our inner spaces in order to be able to deal with the outer spaces. In this behavior, the oriental cultures have it over us. For many generations their training, in the cultural as well as in the spiritual planes, have taught them to create these serene spots inside, for those outside are full of the many negative influences found all around us.

For some reason, ever since I can remember, I have truly admired this particular trait or characteristic; this ability to remain calm (at least on the surface) in the face of adversities. Some years ago, as the result of my work related travel, the opportunity to visit and spend time in some of these far eastern countries presented itself and, when visiting and sharing off work time with several folk over there, my beliefs were more strengthened than weakened.

In many conversations over tea, coffee, sake, beer or whisky (depending on where, when and with whom) were such things as culture, beliefs and ideas talked about and discussed. It was never an “us vs. them” issue but, rather, an exploration into each other’s worlds. Fascinating stuff!! I came to find that, in the end, we are all truly the same under all our differences and veneers; human beings have one item in common which, when allowed to do its thing, will become the catalyst to understanding and acceptance: the mind.


If you are a reader of these blogs, you will know that I was basically raised by my grandfather; an avowed life long mason functioning in a decidedly catholic environment. In fact, I came to find out later in life that the one condition my great-grandfather (whom I never met) placed on the table in order to allow his daughter (my blessed grandmother!) to marry this “heathen”, was that all future generations and/or genealogical iterations would have to be raised within the catholic religion. He agreed, for he loved that young, beautiful lady. And to the end, he was true to his word; his three daughters were so raised and so were all the grandchildren, starting with yours truly, the oldest.

Yet, because I was living in his household, I was also the recipient of his own ideas, his questions, his thoughts and his outlook in and on life. Due to this exposure a subtle, yet enduring process of acceptance and questioning (yes, these can go together) became a part of my life. While I learned to question all around me, I also learned to respect differences and to understand that we all have the same right to be wrong. As an old friend used to say “your rights end where mine begin… and vice-versa” …

How True!!... And also true how often this reality tends to be ignored.

As we get older, we tend to entrench into our set ways; I cannot say my own mind is free of this unnerving trait. This is a constant struggle that must be maintained: the  one triggered by a message from myself, that what I know is but a smidgeon of what might be and that there is only one unavoidable truth, at least for me: the older I get and the more I get to know, the more I get to realize how little I really know.

It is at these moments when my mind goes on a short sabbatical and hides in places like the shores of Wally’s Pond… there to think, to try to absorb and understand whatever it is that so irritated, motivated or piqued it; can’t say the results are always pleasant, but at least the process helps in having a slightly better understanding of my own foibles and potential strengths.

This then allows me to share of myself a little more or a little better; sometimes this sharing is misunderstood by others because it expresses itself as a perceived distancing. A temporal distancing which is meant to allow the other party(ies) the space to reflect and come to his/her/their own conclusions about the issue(s) at hand and its or their impact on each one. All I can then do is hope these conclusions will direct them into a general area which will allow then a closer relationship. Doesn’t always work…

The mind is unique and it will reveal much to each of us, if given a chance to honestly do so. Take care and develop it as much as you can; it is the only weapon in your personal arsenal which will stand by you to the end…

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...