Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Wally’s Pond. A Perspective for a New Year

 

It has been sometime since I last sat by the water at Wally’s Pond. For those of you who have not been to Wally’s Pond before (actually, you have all been invited … you just haven’t joined me), let me tell you that it is a placid, tranquil place where the water is clean and clear, the birds chirp, there are no outside noises and it never rains. And in case you have not guessed it, this wonderful place is in my mind; the place where I sometimes manage to hide for a little while from all the unwanted events that are happening around me. And God only knows there have been plenty of those resonating in the last few months.

At my age, it is an achievement of sorts to be able to get by without any medications at all. Or so the doctors tell me. Blood pressure, heartbeat, oxygen count … check. Cholesterol, a tad high … not enough to worry about it. Weight … being managed. Yes, a few too many apple pies with ice cream but, hey … if we have to go down, let’s enjoy it!! 

The only way all these several health fronts are being held in abeyance on a continuing basis, is by retreating occasionally to this place of calmness where nothing annoying is allowed. And believe me, this is no easy task when surrounded by family, inside and outside problems, phone calls, deadlines and, yes, a cat and a dog staying here for a while. Notice I did not include “work” in that list. Luckily, my work is very enjoyable, so it actually allows me some time away from the other issues. 

In any event, it is only fitting that during the early part of the year you will find me here. There is so much to think about, so many knots to try and unravel. The funny thing is that, after sitting down at the water’s edge for a while, the knots begin to unravel without much effort and the view begins to clear.

Does this mean that there are now answers galore, where there were nothing but questions before?

No. Not really. What it means (to me, at least) is that perhaps all those issues clouding my mind are being shown to be not so important. That perhaps I can’t answer or solve all the problems of the known universe around me, that there are many of these that are within the purview of others and not mine to deal with.

Eventually, when this truth becomes clear and it is accepted, there comes a moment of calm and of understanding. Understanding that tells me that, no matter how much I may try to solve someone else’s problems, if the root of the problem within that person is not corrected by that very individual (something no one else can do for him/her) it will just grow and flourish again, and again.

It also becomes apparent that there are issues and shortcomings within myself I can correct and others which I may not be able to. The first batch will be dealt with, as quickly as possible. As far as the second batch, I must learn to accept them and work with them; to make them as least intrusive as possible, as time and self-awareness may allow this to be done. 

Finally, there are those other always present and “looming” issues which, after some scrutiny, are shown to be non important. Guess what? They immediately go into the disposal area of the mind, to be forgotten.

So, do you understand just how important is this pond to my own mental health? Not to mention keeping that blood pressure and heartbeat in check. Try it sometime. Find a spot where you can get away within yourself, even for a few minutes; whether you call it meditation or simply mental wanderings with a purpose, it will work wonders for you.

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:

·       Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!   

·       Any comments please send to rjalcazar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...