Friday, September 9, 2011

Dreams of a Child…


One of the several goals set for my life, many of which are yet to be accomplished (there is time yet, don’t give up), is to never lose the wonderment felt as a child. Do I give up being an adult? No, I do not. Simply stated, my world has never lost the possibilities that, as a child, were envisioned. When at all possible, it is kept on a continuum, where the past is present and the present is a defined part of a future yet to come.

When my conversations with friends or family revolve around circumstances of my childhood and the places visited and lived, their comments usually take on a definitely incredulous tone. “How can you so clearly remember these things and places after all these many years?” The answer is really simple: It was a time of my being and becoming, and it has been and will continue to be zealously guarded and kept alive as long as my own existence lasts, for this is where all the memories have become an indelible measure of my life. The times when as a child, one used to look at realities and see all kinds of wonderful possibilities… and why not, a time for the imaginary friend who is always there to answer your questions and give a helping, though somewhat ghostly, hand in whatever mischief was to be done.

Often, late at night, my bed would take the shape of a lopsided tent; the sheet thrown over my head and underneath, a small penlight in my hands helping me read the latest magazine, story or book. It has always been a passion for me; to read, almost voraciously, most anything that comes into my hands. Every story became –and still does as I read today- a magnificent new world full of wonderments; a place where a child or adult could soar into the highest skies and the lowest canyons, over and under the waters of the oceans; where at the whim of the wielder, the magic carpet of word covered pages would and will always do incredible things, bringing those worlds to full life, full color.  

“Rafelito, apaga la linterna y acuĂ©state a dormir!!” Rafelito, a diminutive used by the elders in my family and which, when I now hear it from a childhood friend or an aunt, brings those days back in a hurry… “turn the flashlight off and go to sleep!!” “Yes mom” I would answer, buying an additional 10 or 15 minutes of acquiescent read time.

We walked and ran, for the most part of my childhood years, with very few restrictions. A small group of friends would take off on our bikes and explore different areas that were parts of our city. Including those where we would normally not be allowed to roam freely. These were especially desirable, of course… And some of these neighborhoods I would come to know much better, on a very personal basis, years later… a few of those stories have already made it to these posts.
A decaying, but still beautiful statue
 in the old cemetery

The old Reina cemetery, with all the imported, hand carved Italian marble statues, brought in by moneyed folks who would have us remember, for many generations to come, their gracing presence and lamented passing… Who had they been? What were their lives like? The already semi-abandoned and grave surroundings were becoming a true postcard memento, a diminishing collection of decaying lifelike statues and mausoleums, some small and some larger… all reflecting a lifestyle that had passed on with the arrival of the new century. Since then the more modern, cleaner and bigger Acea cemetery on the other, better side of town, had been attracting the newly dying members of our fair city and their families. My own included.

The central market; a two story one square block monolith which included the beef market, the produce market, the fish market; all smelly, noisy and crowded but a great place to explore and look, in awe, of all that was then available. I remember running up and down the old stairs and eventually buying, for pennies, a pound or two of freshly caught shrimp, so we could use them for bait as we went fishing. Sadly, both the market and the contents it sold are no longer a part of today’s reality. 
The entrance to the new cemetery

The huge mango tree in my home’s backyard; it is still there today, as seen through the eyes of That Great Google Eye in The Sky. This tree was a witness to many of my self made adventures. One  moment I could be Superman and “fly” through the branches or, better yet, become Superman’s best friend and savior anytime the dreaded Kryptonite made him into just another weak human; at other times, the branches became my fort as I was the lone Ranger, waiting in ambush for the bad guys … yes, I know the original LR didn’t do ambushes because he was a good guy… but my own LR did… he didn’t have those silly scruples and it was easier to keep alive that way!!  Later on, the tree gave me a memory to keep for the rest of my days… as I crashed into it while riding my bike full speed, the bike chain came off and while “repairing” it, I lost the very tip of my left hand index finger … How can I not remember this wooded friend and afternoon companion? Besides, the ripe mangoes were absolutely delicious!!  

And then… a little later into young adulthood or, if you prefer, older childhood... that special girl who will always be a living memory, no matter how many years go by, or how much life's travails may try to render your steps apart and create chasms to have you forget… Those years and memories are wonderful and, even when cut short, they are still the base for adulthood; it is a time of life to be cherished, guarded and remembered.

Which brings me to this short, but deeply felt reflection… Not every child is a loved person, someone who has a home where he or she will be well cared for and allowed to simply be a child…when you see a little one suffering, do what you can to make his/her day a little better and bring a smile to his or her lips, even for a fleeting moment. Think of your own childhood and of those times when there was a warm bed to receive you in cold nights, a couple of arms and hands to hold you and give you some hope and security, and pass some of this on to that wanting soul. Those little moments may make a difference at some point in the future, when hard choices may have to be made.
Children should always have a chance
 at love and happiness;
when they were brought to the world,
they came without asking, just trusting.

Remember and keep the hopes and imaginings of those times when you were a little one, just beginning to walk that long trail that would eventually bring you to where you are today. 

Every single step is precious, don’t discard it… it is a deep seated part of who you are today and the continuing basis of who you will be tomorrow…


Be well…  Be back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...