Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Day (Almost) Everything Went Right…


Years ago, after coming out of the Army, I had a number of jobs. Back then we had the luxury of being able to change, because the job market was fairly open. Not so today… 

Lines and lines and shelves...
After selling hair stuff for a while, I began to get tired of rearranging supermarket and pharmacy shelves to better show my product; this meant featuring my “boxes” up front, while pushing the competition’s boxes towards the back end of the shelves.  Well, don’t look at the page that way… The reason I had to constantly rearrange everything was that someone else had done it before, putting my stuff all the way back… My bonuses were based on sales, so… in love, war, and sales…  As time went on, I couldn’t see myself selling hair coloring for the rest of my life, and the itch began to gnaw at me. Sales being in my “blood”, I began to search for possibilities. This looking brought me to the medical field; having more than one doctor in my family (in Cuba) and becoming one myself having been my onetime life goal, this field merited some closer looks. 

The first company receiving the benefits of my efforts was the one which brought birth control to the world… well… to the US, anyway. At one time I had enough samples of the stuff in my basement to keep NYC sterile for a couple of years. At no cost. This pill was so successful that the company became pretty much a one pony show (“The Pill” was the one big ticket item at the time) and my inner self kept arguing with my outer self about looking elsewhere within the med field (both selves agreeing on this one issue) so that the product offerings would not be so skimpy. Thus I came to work with Pfizer Labs, one of the larger pharma-companies in the world. My territory remained, in part, within the Bronx (no longer the north part, but the then so-called “Fort Apache” area which was mostly Hispanic at the time) and the east side of Manhattan, from Central Park all the way down to The Battery
Always on to the next call

My training took on a whole new meaning… I had to learn about gastric juices and sugar overflow in the blood; the bronchial tree (wow!!) and the free flow of blood through the capillaries… Man!! Maybe having so many products wasn’t so hot… I could even talk about anesthetizing someone as if I really knew what I was saying… scary, huh? Every day became a continuing education forum, dictated by the many doctors visited. There were also hospital and pharmacies to call on, so they could be convinced to stock up on our goodies to be sold when the prescriptions came in. This, if I did my job getting the MDs to use my stuff.

“Rafe” my regional manager called me one morning, -“John is coming in next Monday and he requested to ride with you… call me”.  Remember, cellular phones were someone’s dream still; in order to get messages and calls we had to get home and listen in to the little blinking light idiot machine sitting under the phone.

-“Hey, Jim” I called him back that night… “Why am I the lucky so ‘n so to get John for a whole day?”  John was the Sales VP in charge of the Northeast, thereby making him our very own home office VP. He was not an easy guy, known for long quiet contemplations while alongside his ride for the day. But his review had a heavy weight on the salesperson’s corporate resume. Jim, our regional director of sales, was a good guy. Straightforward and quick with a good word as well as with a slap on the hand, when so deserved.

-“Your results from the last quarter brought him to you” he said, -“he wants to meet the new guy who beat out the established salespeople”. This is one of those times when doing well can be punishable by overwork. I knew, from previous history, that John liked to see a salesperson be on the move all day, eating a sandwich either behind the steering wheel of the company car, or at a park bench so he could get on quickly. A normal work day would usually take in 4 doctor offices, 2 pharmacies and a hospital. That would be, actually, a good day. But, as the saying goes… “the best laid plans…” Often the salesperson would be waylaid by an emergency at the Dr’s office, a late entry, an oversold day, a flu epidemic, a long line at the pharmacy… you get the picture… Some days 8 overall visits were planned and laid out, but only 4 calls were actually completed. Not good enough for “John’s Ride With You Day”. When in doubt… go for the overkill. My Monday was laid out with 8 Dr calls, 4 pharmacies and three hospitals… all “friendly” territory where I knew a good reception was almost guaranteed.

John was waiting for me at the train station early on Monday. -“Hey John, welcome to Manhattan… How ‘ya doing?” said I, with a ready smile on my face.  He, looking somewhere north of the windshield, gave the auto-response -“Great, looking forward to a busy day visiting our friends”. It was actually a miserable, early winter day; gray, gusty and rainy, not the best weather to traipse around Manhattan. Even worse in a car; this “tool” was needed, for all the samples were in the trunk; the ones sandwiched in my bag between all the marketing stuff, were good only for one or two calls. At least, back then, one could still find parking in Manhattan Streets. And, no, we were not using horse drawn carriages… there were cars already.
Good Results

As we went about making the planned rounds, something highly unusual started to happen. In every office we visited, the nurse received us with open doors and sent us into the inner lair without waiting. By lunch time, we had already visited six doctors and I was beginning to get nervous… what will happen when we run out of places to go? At the rate we were going, this could actually happen and, in fact, by 3:30pm we had indeed completed all annotated rounds, pharmacies (where a couple of good orders were placed) and hospital included. Never before had there been, and never again would there be such a day...

As we went back to the car after the last visit, he just looked at his watch and said “Just drop me at the train station”. Not much more said and I, fairly fresh into the sales world, didn’t know what to add or ask. So I dropped him off at the train station at 4pm and waved “bye-bye” as he walked into the building’s ever darkening maws... (that sets the mood I was in all right!)

There was not much else to do, having actually used up a 2 day schedule in the preceding 7 hours so I went home as well, wondering whether it had been a good day or what??? As I arrived at my castle, there was a message waiting in the blinking light idiot box and it was from Jim, my regional manager.  

-“What The Hell did You Do?”… “Call me as soon as you get this message”

Whoa!! That greeting was unexpected… On returning the call, his opening comment was: -“Whatever you did today, is going to set the measure for the rest of the guys” he said, and continued –“John just could not believe how much was done!” Then he waited one minute and added, laughing his head off –“Get ready, because everyone will hate your guts!!”

And so it was… my best ever one day effort in the field, relegated to a dunce capped corner because the other sales people were now afraid of John’s visits and ride alongs…

Even when you win, sometimes you lose…

NYC, circa 1973

Be Well, Be back!!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...