Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Deja Vus"… All Over Again…


Yes, I know… those of you that go back a few years recognize the above (miss) quote as one of many great “Yogi-isms”… The late, great Yogi Berra, of baseball fame but sometimes in real, as opposed to surreal, life we have to reshape ourselves into who we truly are and not as what someone else would like us to be.

Anything you may read on these posts can only be attributable to this sometimes functioning mind… but, after all, sporadic brilliancy is better than permanent mediocrity… no?   What do you mean with such a resounding no! answer?  This is too much of an absolute answer for my addled sensors; there has been a lot of pressure this week, you know?

I stand accused of being a dreamer and, admittedly, this is an accusation which can be said is truth based. What makes some of us dreamers, some of us doers, some of us leaders and some of us followers? The human individual character, as defined by many who know much more than I about these issues is made up of part genetics and part upbringing (family, society, etc.). So, in a sense we could easily be at least partially predestined to be who we, in the sum total of the concept, are.

A bit of each...
On my mother’s side of the family, there were/are more doers than dreamers. On my father’s side is about split (those I do know, who are not many). My maternal grandfather, who basically raised me, was a dreamer/doer. He dreamed many projects, knowing in his heart they could be accomplished. Several he did have the chance to complete, others were cut short by the change in his adoptive country’s ideology and government. My father, on the other hand, never seemed to be able to fully develop his very constant dreams. In the last few years leading to his death he was subsisting decently, but without extras.

What did one have that the other did not? What of each have I inherited?  Can any of us change who we are, at the core of ourselves, in order to better please others?  Should we even try?


Sometimes with a little help
Looking at modern man and the concept of societal rules and controls (too cursory a look, I do realize…) it seems there has always been a necessity of an amalgam of characters needed in order to make up the life-motor which does move these societies into a forward (or backwards, as may be sometimes claimed) motion. Most accomplishments have started with a basic dream, which is then brought to reality with the help of those who can manipulate the means necessary to do so, usually under the aegis of a leader who may have a visionary capacity. And yes, let’s not forget the work of the many that may not have the capacity to dream or lead, but who can do all the detailed work needed to actually, physically, convert the dream into a reality.

But, to go back to the questions posed in an earlier paragraph… In my case, I have inherited several of the basic traits of both sides of my family tree. So this could be called a multi-branched, well leafed (except at the treetop, where it has been thinning somewhat steadily) exercise in genetics. Definitely, my father passed on to me, without the benefit of having had his presence during my formative years, several of his more desirable traits, as well as a compendium of some less desirable ones. From my mother and her parents, came some of the genetic shaping which has helped me survive on more than one occasion in life; these came by upbringing and role-modeling as well. Which of these two factors was more important in the shaping of my early persona? I’ll leave the full answer to that question to the more informed folks. I can only offer my belief that it was about even. Then, my father’s genetic-only influence should have had a lesser overall impact, right? It didn’t. As said before, there are very strong traits in me which are directly traceable to him. Some perhaps my life would be better off without, but they still are a part of me.

Which brings me to the other questions:
·         Can any of us change who we are, at the core of ourselves, in order to better please others?  
·         Should we even try?

Dreaming is lonely sometimes
On the first question, my experience has been very personal; after having had a real go at this possibility, I can state without exaggeration that the results have been negative enough to be called “horrendous”… It was not a half baked try, for it involved a number of attempted changes within my core belief system, as well as within my socio-culturally learned behavior. For a time I became someone else; no, it wasn’t an issue of being Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde… none of this… However, these changes created circumstances which lead to making important decisions without thinking through to the expected real/potential results, something that was totally against my cultural and business training as well as personal inclinations. Like this, there were other subtle and not so subtle changes in previous behavior patterns. And, yes, this all involved the concept of trying to better please others.

Now, after several years, the realization that what one is, cannot be truly changed (it may be somewhat modified, but not changed at the belief core) is helping reshape my life around my old self… Which very neatly brings me to the second question above and, as far as I am concerned, the answer should be a resounding No!, for in trying to change his or her inner core as a person, an individual will function from that moment on at odds with himself or herself, never truly being able to achieve a personal comfort zone.
Every finished canvass...
begins with a vision

Have my dreams been projected to reality? Some have along the way; others remain to be completed. And they will be, for part of being a dreamer is to be able to see and feel the final and detailed picture, as it were, long before it has taken actual shape.

You dream, you feel, you imagine what is to be and then, that image is slowly woven into a reality… Perhaps being a dreamer is not well seen by some, but what is true is that without that initial, sustained dream… there will never be that finalized reality.

If I get into these topics again, please shut me up!!

Be Well… Be Back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...