Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Sit and Wait...

Idleness is not good, especially when it is forced because of  "rules and regulations" applied equally to all situations. Even when a particular situation should fall outside these regulations. It's all about the "beehive" effect: when the head says "do this", the hive simply goes and does it. The only problem is that, last time I looked in the mirror, I had failed to don my bumble bee suit.


I sit at home this morning and wait for a check which is to be delivered by a carrier service, as a result of a mistake in the commission deposit made by my company. Mind you, I do appreciate their effort but, as bureaucracies function, the check has to be sent to my house since this is the address they have on the books for me. Never mind that I requested it be sent to the office, where some work can actually be accomplished while waiting. Never mind that this request comes from my own directive and through the regional director, who runs this particular office for the last 12 or so years... No, it has to be sent to the address they have on the books. Those are the rules.  So, sit and wait.

It seems very scary, at least to me, the concept that rules are blindly to be followed without taking a few moments to analyze whether they make sense at a particular junction or time, given a specific set of circumstances. Before any of you says anything: YES, rules do have a place in life; without them we would probably live in a chaotic world (Lord knows, even with them we still do) but blind rules do not.

Ever since I remember, there is a very commonly used sentence that whenever someone says it to me, my reaction is immediate and negative. That is: "You're (or aren't) supposed to do this ..."  My immediate reaction is "According to whom?" or, "Why?" and, unless there is a coherent answer, I usually tend to ignore the complainant, and the complaint.  No, I am not Johnny Rebel; in fact, I tend to be a relatively quiet person, who will hold his opinions to himself unless asked. And those who know me will not often ask, for they know my answer will be what I think, and not necessarily what they may wish to hear.

Somewhere along these 100 or so entries, there is sure to be one... or two,  which harp on this topic; it is a constant burr under my saddle (well, figuratively speaking...) to hear simple acquiescence to unspoken habits, rather than exercising the brain/mind the Good Lord gave us, using it to question the assumed wisdom of the unseen "They", who always seem to be the fountain of something for which the speaker is unwilling or unable to accept responsibility.  While it is fully and well understood that the world cannot be really comprised of only leaders (someone has to follow and do the "dirty" work, no?) an educated follower is the best acolyte to have: the work will be done well, on time and with full understanding of the importance of the task at hand, even when considered "menial" (there really is no such thing; all tasks are important).  A blind follower is only good for simple, repetitive tasks; he/she would not know how to, or dare go outside the lines. 

Those historians who study WWII, tell us that the then US soldier was better than its German counterpart in one area and that this difference may have been partly responsible for the war being ultimately won. It was not the physical training, the weaponry or tactical leadership; in fact, in these areas the Germans were probably better since their preparation had gone on for a longer time. It was at the base ranks, where the American soldier was trained to assume field responsibility when his officer and/or line sergeant or leader had been killed. Many field officer promotions were born from situations like these, and many skirmishes and confrontations were won because of this basic instruction to think and to assume responsibility.

Anyway... the carrier has arrived with check in hand and now I must go... This chain of thinking is the usual result of my being forced to sit and wait because "It's supposed to be done this way..."  It is truly difficult for me to accept this line of reasoning. Therefore, I say unto you: Do not let your mind go idle; it is the greatest asset we have been given. USE it!!!

Be Well, Be Back...

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...