Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dancing With Computer...


Some days it just doesn’t pay to sit in front of the computer and try to fill in a page. Today seems to be such a day.

I have danced around the computer now at least 4 or 5 times, looking at it and deciding whether or not is worth the effort to sit and try to come up with anything that will fill in a page or two. There is a Turkish made movie in the background, playing on the Sundance station; I believe before there was an Italian movie about a detective or something like this.

I have to say, however, that I am not really watching TV, it kind of keeps me company by making noises in the background and, since the idea is to concentrate on writing something, it is better that the noises be made in a language I cannot understand; then, it keeps me company while not requiring my attention.

There was a class of ESL to start off the day; it is sometimes very frustrating for me to see how the folk who are hard trying to learn the language, keep holding themselves back by doing the absolute smallest modicum of practice once out of classes. There is little either I or any of the other teachers can do about this…

The ability to learn and to remember is hampered by being exposed to their coworkers (mostly immigrants themselves) and their brand of English. It usually is a chopped version of street learned language, one which will not do wonders to improve their communication skills within the at-large society. How can I explain this to them in a manner which will stick? I truly do not know, for many different ways have been tried, and none seem to really work. I guess, in the end, it is really up to the individual student to do what needs to be done.

Received a call from Guatemala yesterday afternoon. It seems that a group of dear friends, all in the insurance business, have decided that it has been too long since I was there last, and they would like to have my company for a week or so; to accomplish this, they are thinking of inviting me to come down and do a couple of lecture/seminars for the benefit (I hope) of their combined agency forces sometime in March/April. This was good news, for they are an intrinsic part of my good memories of those times, and being with them will be uplifting. Besides, Guatemala is one of those places which really got to me while traveling around; and these people I met there with whom I shared much time, certainly have a lot to do with this feeling.

In the meantime we (that’s the “Royal We”) are road testing a brand new locale for the language school. The old one, while being in a more “upscale” center, did little for the walk in traffic and this particular brand of traffic is essential for the growth of this type of school; many, who will now see the school sign from the street, will come in to ask about the classes and usually up to 30% of those will come back and enroll. In the just vacated place, being on a second floor, no one knew that a school was there so… there were really no walk-ins of any type. I hope all goes well, for the young lady who owns the school is really trying hard and assuming some risks.

As I sit here and write away, my alarm is sounding off. It wants to tell me that soon my tracks will take me back to the school where a one-on-one class of SSL will be taking place, with me as the “Teach”… yes, we do wear both hats: ESL (English as a Second Language) and SSL (Spanish as a Second Language)… So tonight, instead of telling the students to hold back their “RRRs”, I will be telling someone to “RRRoll their RRRs”… Each language to its own little quirks.

On the political front, not much to be told. The government continues to try and socialize the country’s innards, and the opposing party is doing all it can to make sure that it will not win the upcoming elections. So… we shall see who is finally put up front in order to lead the opposing party’s future, and to try and wrestle the government away from the current White House occupant in chief. In the end, all any one of us working stiffs will have, are the promises made during campaign time… and we know the value of those…

So much for now… I think we are getting ready to bring forward some memories from the past… probably tomorrow… Until then,

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...