Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Random Thoughts... 1-03-12


It has been a longer than usual day. Not that it has had more than its allotment of the basic 24 hours, just that the going has been slow and often tortuous.

Going into the Holidays, it was expected that the days would be somewhat long, bringing with them a sadder than usual feeling. The warrior face that everyone expected to see would be present in all its regalia, belittling the feelings that would be hiding behind it.

All too true, the Holiday season is one which has often brought up memories of years long past when my childhood family would be together, celebrating these feasts in all splendor. The years, as they went by, did their job to bring me around to the beginning of a new celebration; a celebration of life to include my children and those around me.

I came to find that my faith and beliefs were slowly strengthened and born anew; no, I cannot truly say I belong to those who proclaim having been born again, for I haven’t gone through that process. In fact, I am not sure I would know what it would entail. Or that I would be worth the rebirth. Yes, I know, don’t tell me… we are all worth it. This was just a manner of speech, a way to vent feelings of inadequacy perhaps. He understands… why would you not?

This year’s Holidays however, had an added burden to carry: the absence of the presence of my son. There is not much anyone of us can do about this; there is not much anyone could say or do, that would even begin to fill the void his going created. I do believe that, by choice, this void cannot or will not be filled in this life.

As there is strength in life, so there is in death. There is the surviving strength passed on by the person who has gone, that helps those of us who have remained in this world to go on; to go beyond the loss and the longing and, in moving forward, not allow the life of the departed to become a mockery. No one has said this process is an easy one; anyone who has interred a child –no matter how old he or she may be at the time- knows this is probably the deepest hurt that one, as a parent, can feel. If the death occurs as a result of an illness winning a final battle, there has been some time in which to try to face the demons and acquire a degree of acceptance… not that it becomes easier, just better prepared.  When the death occurs as a result of an unexpected event, such as an accident, then it is simply a freezing cold knife which suddenly slices the heart into small pieces, each one pulsating on, clamoring and crying out in pain.

I promised myself that these ravings of an on and off grieving father would not find their way unto these posts; not anymore than they already have. But I trust you; this trust is one which, without really knowing most of you, allows me to write this and to actually publish it on the blog. There are many of you now, many more than I envisioned at the beginning. Although most are in the US, a growing number of reading partners are joining me from some 12-14 other countries around the world. Thank you all for being there, for coming back, for reading on… often despite the less than easy to take topics offered at times.

This New Year will see many folk continue to try and accomplish some of the goals that have eluded us for some time. I know there are several for me. These have been present for more than a decade; a decade which has brought its share of disjointed living, at times making sure that we did not know, literally, which end was up. But inside this time warp, there is the lingering knowledge that these goals will be attained and that, perhaps, the death of Eric was a painful, but needed step towards understanding exactly what needs to be done, and why. The same can be said for the bout with cancer a couple of years ago; much was learned then and much was learned now.

Life goes on; every day and every minute is an important achievement. All we can do is to live them, making every moment count and every goal an accomplished achievement, even before it has actually become so. As the baseball movie expressed: “If you build it (the park), they will come”… In other words: Believe and it will come to pass.

I believe… in life, in goals met and in goals yet to be met, in the people around me, in the friendships that have helped me along these difficult times, in the presence of my Father in my life, in every morning that brings a new dawn and a new day to be lived and enjoyed; I believe in the raindrops that bring water, and in the sun rays that dry them and give us warmth. I believe in the joy and laughter of living and in the painful tears of living; they are part of our core self and allow us to become and to grow; living and dying is the cycle of life itself and we must accept and even welcome it. There is joy and peace in understanding this…

Smile in your heart, for is this true smile the one which will lift your spirits… That “warrior face” I alluded to in the beginning is just a mask which, in the end, can’t hide anything more than what is seen at simple sight. What is inside is what counts; accept, live on, receive life in joyfulness and let the healing process begin.


Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...