Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Time Flies When You are Having Fun… …and even when you are not!!!

How often do we hear this little gem!!! How indicative of a total lack of subject(s) about which to talk when this (and others like this little accepted “truism”) is put on the table as the topic of continued conversation… as it were.

This morning my mind was wandering –nothing new there- about all the years that have come and gone since the time my sister and I left our little (well, not so little…) island country. The reason for the creeping thought? As my Facebook opened up, the first notation in it was the pre-advise, I guess this is what it was, about the fact that the 50th High School class reunion is coming up in two short years. OMG!!! I can’t believe it is almost 50 years since that day, back in the mists of time, when the green bound diploma found its way into my hands…

To grumble and complain are very common and easy things to do. To realize that in living 50 years plus those it took to get to the point of receiving the diploma, we have indeed achieved something remarkable. In a world where most of us boys who graduated at that time were conscripted into the armed forces due to being in the middle of a fast burgeoning war, just getting here is an achievement. Yes, several gave their lives up in that part of the world or during another war like it, of those that followed... Some have succumbed to illness, or accidents along the way.

All in all, yours truly will not complain… too much, anyway. After all, complaining never fixed anything that I know of and, in the end, the choices made have been for the most part taken with pretty much full knowledge of the options available (although not always, mind you!). Some have turned out well, other have turned out… well… not so well. In this, we are par for the course with most fellow humans.

Over the last few years, paths which once were companions have come to cross each other again. Some I have found, others have found me. It is almost like a homing pigeon that knows where the roost is and, in the face of all that may surround it, the return path will be found. I have to be honest, not one single one of the past reunions has been in my agenda. Yes, there were photos downloaded and perused; there was conversation with some of those who went to one or two reunions, and the desire to go and participate was ignited. This ignited, but somewhat dormant fire has now been kindled by reading about some friends who will be there. Actually, going back to the PAC-NW is attractive to me; it is a beautiful part of the country and worth revisiting. Those two short, but incredibly important years of my life spent there bring me nothing but good memories and they want to be re-lived while the re-living is good!!

I accept that a constant barrage of complains about the social networks and their creepy, creeping way of getting into our daily lives already has begun to affect how we live. On the other hand, it is also true that this very same networking has brought many folk together in time defying reunions, including wayward family members.

There!!!  I’ve said it!!! These networks do have a use, besides letting us know about Aunt Mathilda’s  rheumy back and droopy appendages.

I don’t know… today is a long work day; this means there is little time in which to get this unto the blog… sort of a cybernetic deadline, quickly approaching.

Actually, if the good Lord allows me to still be around in two years, I will do my utmost to be present at this 50th reunion. But only if I drop those extra 10 pounds I’m carrying around… and my hair stops falling… and my knees creaking… and… oh hell!! We won’t probably be able to hear each other with all the creaking going on, anyway.  I guess the only teens present will be the ones we will each carry inside our hearts and minds, alive and well.

Be Well … Be Back!!!

Final Notes:
  • Pray for those who are fighting an illness which may take them away from their loved ones… Every request is heard, and counts!!
  • Follow us on Twitter … @RJAsPandora
  • Any comments please send to otherboxp@yahoo.com
  • Remember:  We are “On Air” every Sunday night at 6:30pm EST (GT –5hrs).  http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theotherbox If the link does not work, please just copy and paste to your address bar.
  • “La Otra Caja de Pandora”… The Spanish language Blog… “otracaja.blogspot.com”Bienvenidos!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

IS “HATRED” VALID?

According to the Oxford Dictionary, hate (verb) / hatred (noun) mean: 1.       To feel ( to hate ) intense or passionate dislike ( hatred ...